PDA

View Full Version : Bucks v Celtics

Goose85
04-28-2022, 08:09 AM
Well this sure won't help. Looks like Middleton isn't expected to play in the Celtic series.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-bucks-khris-middleton-expected-to-miss-entire-series-vs-celtics-with-mcl-injury-124537007.html

MUfan12
04-28-2022, 09:49 AM
Gonna be tough on two levels. Obviously taking a big wing defender out against Brown and Tatum is a problem. But offensively, his ability to find a switch and go get a bucket himself is so important against good defensive teams like Boston. The Bucks have the shooting to overcome it, but those guys have to be assisted most of the time.

I'd lean Boston in 6 or 7 at this point.

mufan2003
04-28-2022, 11:24 AM
So much for the thought it was a Grade 1 sprain. Portis in the starting lineup actually makes the Bucks bigger......Lopez (7'0"), Giannis (6'11") and Portis (6'10") might be the biggest frontline in the NBA. Then good size in the backcourt with Holiday (6'4") and Matthews (6'5"). Boston will not have a size advantage. There is no spinning the loss of Middleton, but I believe the Bucks can win this series.

Connaughton got back on track last night going 6-9 beyond the arc. Allen has thrived in Middleton's absence. Play out of the post with Giannis and Portis along with Jrue/Giannis in the pick-n-roll.

Brooklyn was a diminutive, undersized team whose reputation was inflated by the presence of the great Kevin Durant. Looking forward to this one.

mufan2003
04-28-2022, 11:26 AM
The schedule is out for Milwaukee/Boston with tip times TBD:

https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status/1519495830767611907

mufan2003
04-28-2022, 12:00 PM
Since 18-19, Bud's first year as coach and Brook Lopez's first year in Milwaukee, the Bucks always finished top 5 in team defense. Not having Brook for the regular season affected the team's defensive numbers.

In the playoffs, granted small sample size, the Bucks are giving up the fewest PPG. Lopez, Giannis (DPOY on resume) and Holiday all have made appearances on the league's All-Defensive teams. Wes Matthews is a very good defender and Bobby, with his energy and size, is no slouch either.

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticNBA/status/1519708277097041922

https://www.espn.com/nba/stats/team/_/view/opponent/table/offensive/sort/avgPoints/dir/asc

Goose85
04-29-2022, 01:14 PM
The schedule is out for Milwaukee/Boston with tip times TBD:

https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status/1519495830767611907

That schedule really seems drawn out, going from a Tuesday to Saturday. I wonder if the length of the series may make it possible for Middleton to return somewhere in the games 5-7 area (5/11-5/15).

He was injured on 4/20, so 5/11 is three full weeks away. Maybe game 6 or 7 (trying to be optimistic here).

mufan2003
05-01-2022, 11:19 AM
That schedule really seems drawn out, going from a Tuesday to Saturday. I wonder if the length of the series may make it possible for Middleton to return somewhere in the games 5-7 area (5/11-5/15).

He was injured on 4/20, so 5/11 is three full weeks away. Maybe game 6 or 7 (trying to be optimistic here).

Before Shams Charania's tweet, I thought that large gap (3 days off) would allow Middleton to return at some point in this series. Nothing official from the Bucks, I guess I was surprised as well that before the series even started, that someone could rule him out for the entire series (with an injury that is a sprain).

mufan2003
05-01-2022, 11:45 AM
Interesting that the Bucks just came off a series where their opponent (Bulls) finished 4th in the league in 3FG% (36.9%). The Celtics were 14th as a team (35.6%). The Bucks, at least during the regular season, tend to give up 3's to their opponents despite wanting to take away attempts at the rim and beyond the arc (allowing tough 2's).

Some other interesting numbers from the 82-game regular season:

Offense

NET Rating: MIL-3.2 (8th) BOS-7.4 (2nd)
Offensive Rating: MIL-114.3 (3rd) BOS-113.6 (9th)
Effective FG%: MIL-54.6 (6th) BOS-54.2 (9th)
PPG: MIL-115.5 (3rd) BOS-111.8 (12th)
3FG%: MIL-36.6 (5th) BOS-35.6 (14th)
OREB%: MIL-26.9 (16th) BOS-27.7 (11th)

Defense

Defensive Rating: MIL-111.1 (14th) BOS-106.2 (1st) ***no Brook Lopez, MIL #1 in Playoffs
PPG: MIL-112.1 (19th) BOS-104.5 (1st)
FG%: MIL-45.6 (11th) BOS-43.4 (1st)
3FG%: MIL-35.6 (19th) BOS-33.9 (1st)
DREB%: MIL-74.7 (2nd) BOS-72.5 (16th)

mufan2003
05-01-2022, 02:41 PM
Great start to the series. Boston went up against a small and poor defensive team in Brooklyn.

With Lopez, Milwaukee is difficult to score against at the rim. Boston is an average 3PT shooting team. Stay tight on Tatum and Brown (limit wide open 3's).

Giannis with a triple-double....Portis and Holiday with double-doubles.

AbovetheRim
05-01-2022, 02:52 PM
The activity and physicality from both teams defensively reminded me of a playoff game from the 90's. Fascinating watch given we have not seen much of that type of play in many years.

Goose85
05-02-2022, 08:23 AM
That W was a pleasant surprise. Was not expecting to even win game 1 given the way we have started series, and with this one being in Boston.

That was great D the Bucks played, forcing Boston into shots they do not normally like to take. Cut down on the turnovers for next game, and we will be in really good shape.

MUfan12
05-02-2022, 10:22 AM
Game 2 is gonna be really interesting. Does Boston try to make it a track meet like the first quarter yesterday? Do they try to exploit the midrange more when Brook drops? More PNR with R. Williams? They had some success with it. Regardless, I don't think what they did yesterday gets them to 4 wins. They might have a game or two where they make a better percentage from three, but I don't know about four of 'em.

For the Bucks, the 27 points off turnovers likely won't be there. Have to be more crisp in the halfcourt offense. Keep wearing down Smart and Horford. Al played great yesterday, but he can't do that for a whole series against Giannis.

mufan2003
05-02-2022, 11:20 AM
As Bucks fans we have grown accustomed to them getting down early in series (0-2 Brooklyn, 0-1 Atlanta and 0-2 Phoenix). I like this better, but hope to see the killer instinct and not be satisfied with a split.

Stats won't jump out at you, but I love what Jevon Carter is bringing to the table defensively (full court) and even scored 7 points (three, two and free throws).

Completely agree on Al Horford, he is always good for 1 or 2 nice games but he is not the player he used to be, played very well yesterday.

One of the best moments from Game 1, Wes' reaction to Giannis' pass to himself off the backboard:

https://twitter.com/Bucks/status/1520896848529088512

mufan2003
05-02-2022, 11:40 AM
Game 2 is gonna be really interesting. Does Boston try to make it a track meet like the first quarter yesterday? Do they try to exploit the midrange more when Brook drops? More PNR with R. Williams? They had some success with it. Regardless, I don't think what they did yesterday gets them to 4 wins. They might have a game or two where they make a better percentage from three, but I don't know about four of 'em.

For the Bucks, the 27 points off turnovers likely won't be there. Have to be more crisp in the halfcourt offense. Keep wearing down Smart and Horford. Al played great yesterday, but he can't do that for a whole series against Giannis.

Boston was visibly frustrated when they tried to score at the rim yesterday. Brook Lopez is so important defensively. Not only 7'0", but thick, wide and yet agile. He takes up so much space and is very vocal on the defensive end. Paired with Giannis (6'11") and what he can do defensively along with Portis who also has good size (6'10")......the biggest frontline left in the playoffs. Also, those 3 are better collectively on the offensive end than Boston's starting frontline. Robert Williams can't do much unless it is a dunk from a dump off.

Boston was middle-of-the-pack as a team shooting beyond the arc (14 out of 30 teams). You can't let Tatum have open looks.......but Smart, Brown, Horford all run hot/cold. Tough, contested 2's and non-corner 3's (above the break line), if the Bucks keep them to that, I like their chances.

mufan2003
05-03-2022, 08:42 PM
Boston shoots a franchise playoff record for any half going 13-20 from beyond the arc in the 1st half.

Credit Boston but the Bucks deserve some blame as well......dug too deep of a hole down 25 at half. Obviously will concede some 3-point shots, but that was way too lackadaisical. Also unsustainable by Boston who was 14th of 30 teams in 3-PT shooting.

Bucks' offense was poor. Get back to Giannis in the low post, wide post and free throw line area. Giannis can be a great passer out of the post-up. Also, more Giannis as a screener. Brook Lopez is a skilled offensive player, need him dialed in and making some contributions.

Got to bring it from the tip and for all 48 minutes. Boston cannot maintain that shooting from beyond the arc.

mufan2003
05-09-2022, 10:51 AM
Big game tonight, Milwaukee can take control of the series with a win. Really want this one.

Both teams playing physical, Boston players and even fans are complaining about every call. A lot of flopping by Grant Williams (rivaling Chris Paul and Devin Booker for complaining). Part of the reason I love Giannis, Jrue and Middleton......they aren't constantly complaining about calls.

Offensive shooting numbers were awful for both teams in Game 3. Milwaukee shot 40.4% (40-99) on FGs and 26.5% (9-34) on 3FGs. Boston was 36.8% (32-87) on FGs and 27.3% (9-33) on 3FGs. The Bucks, collectively, are a better offensive team. I thought they missed shots they usually make on Saturday. Some just rimmed out.

Ready for the Bucks to have a breakout shooting performance. Starting to get the sense that Middleton could possibly come back in a Game 6 or Game 7 (Bud's comments) if necessary, but I hope it doesn't go more than 6. Go Bucks!

Goose85
05-09-2022, 11:07 AM
Big game tonight, Milwaukee can take control of the series with a win. Really want this one.

Both teams playing physical, Boston players and even fans are complaining about every call. A lot of flopping by Grant Williams (rivaling Chris Paul and Devin Booker for complaining). Part of the reason I love Giannis, Jrue and Middleton......they aren't constantly complaining about calls.

Offensive shooting numbers were awful for both teams in Game 3. Milwaukee shot 40.4% (40-99) on FGs and 26.5% (9-34) on 3FGs. Boston was 36.8% (32-87) on FGs and 27.3% (9-33) on 3FGs. The Bucks, collectively, are a better offensive team. I thought they missed shots they usually make on Saturday. Some just rimmed out.

Ready for the Bucks to have a breakout shooting performance. Starting to get the sense that Middleton could possibly come back in a Game 6 or Game 7 (Bud's comments) if necessary, but I hope it doesn't go more than 6. Go Bucks!

A win tonight would really put the Bucks in position to win this series with or without Middleton. We are a better team, but we need to shoot the ball better to get the W.
A loss tonight could give Boston the upper hand, as we would then need to win on the road to get the series.

Agree on Giannis, Holiday and Middleton. I really like Lopez on this team, but he is one guy that does his share of complaining.

AbovetheRim
05-09-2022, 09:22 PM
Too much one on one and it showed up in the 4th tonight. It seemed like every time Giannis or Holiday popped a 3 or deep two it ended up in transition the other way. That can't happen. Need to make them work harder defensively with ball movement. You're not going to get a better game from Wes at this stage of his career but you can get more from Portis and Allen who are difference makers when they're involved and humming.

MUfan12
05-09-2022, 09:33 PM
They're boned.

Jrue and the offense are totally broken. This was their chance.

mufan2003
05-09-2022, 09:49 PM
Al Horford found the fountain of youth, he hasn't looked this good in years. They are also leaving him wide open....practically a shootaround for him.

Bucks always make things stressful. Up double digits again late in the 3rd QTR, racking up fouls on Boston, then let them get right back in it with poor D and bad offense.

Need Portis and Allen to contribute more. Lopez and Connaughton doing as expected.

Middleton standing on the sideline for a lot of the game. Could really use him back with his ability to score on all 3 levels. 2-2, not giving up, but wasted opportunity to put Boston on the ropes.

mufan2003
05-09-2022, 09:58 PM
Too much one on one and it showed up in the 4th tonight. It seemed like every time Giannis or Holiday popped a 3 or deep two it ended up in transition the other way. That can't happen. Need to make them work harder defensively with ball movement. You're not going to get a better game from Wes at this stage of his career but you can get more from Portis and Allen who are difference makers when they're involved and humming.

Spot on about the offense.....stagnant, little ball/player movement. Jrue or Giannis dominating the ball. Portis and Allen need to be more aggressive.

Goose85
05-10-2022, 08:09 AM
Spot on about the offense.....stagnant, little ball/player movement. Jrue or Giannis dominating the ball. Portis and Allen need to be more aggressive.

Giannis needs to dribble the ball up and play one on one ball much less. We learned that against Toronto a few years ago, but we were doing it again last night.

As has been said, move the ball and let Allen get a few more shots. One on one ball doesn't work against good defensive teams.
Giannis was trying to do too much, so he was gassed in the 4th quarter.

mufan2003
05-10-2022, 11:28 AM
Giannis needs to dribble the ball up and play one on one ball much less. We learned that against Toronto a few years ago, but we were doing it again last night.

As has been said, move the ball and let Allen get a few more shots. One on one ball doesn't work against good defensive teams.
Giannis was trying to do too much, so he was gassed in the 4th quarter.

Yeah, not that Giannis can't take it from the top of the key from time-to-time, especially on the fast break, but not a fan of it against a set defense.

A couple other thoughts:

(1) The Bucks were up 14 after 3 QTRs in Game 3, they let Boston come back and the game came down to the last possession (free throws). The Bucks were then up 11 or 12 after 3 QTRs in Game 4, only to let Boston come back again in the 4th. Marcus Smart had 2 layups with nobody around him......it is as if the Bucks mentally relax. As Charles Barkley pointed out, the Bucks controlled the majority of Game 4, just haven't displayed the killer instinct to put Boston away. Bud has to be quick with a timeout at the beginning of the 4th not to lose these double digit leads so quickly.

(2) Until the 4th, Tatum struggled, the Bucks' defense had him off his game. Horford is having a better series than he did 3 years ago in 2019 against the Bucks. What alternative universe is this? He had a hard time sticking with a team the last couple of years. I also think the Bucks are leaving him wide open and being too disrespectful in terms of barely guarding him at all.

(3) Portis and Allen are both too good to not look confident. Bobby is passing up shots he usually doesn't think twice about taking. Allen can do some things off the dribble in a screen-and-roll. The coaching staff and teammates need to get those guys' confidence back up and playing well. Lopez, Matthews and Connaughton have been solid.

(4) The Bucks gave that game away last night, just like they almost gave away Game 3. Need to bring their best game of the series in Game 5 and then look to close out in Game 6.

Goose85
05-11-2022, 08:57 AM
I have a good feeling about tonight's game. Hopefully the Bucks make some adjustments and don't have Giannis taking the ball up court and trying to start his game that way as much.
Avoid the offensive fouls on Giannis, pass the ball, get Lopez going more on offense down low, and need a bunch of 3s from Allen to get this W.

mufan2003
05-11-2022, 11:02 AM
83% of the time, the winner of Game 5 goes on to win the series. The Bucks make up part of the 17% after last year, losing Game 5 @ Brooklyn, then going on to win Game 6 (home) and Game 7 (road).

I would love to win tonight and wrap it up on Friday.....this series could play out so many different ways.

MUfan12
05-11-2022, 04:01 PM
Their crowd is gonna be bonkers. Can't have a repeat of game 2 with an awful start.

mufan2003
05-11-2022, 08:40 PM
Hell yeah!!!!!! And this is awesome if true:

https://twitter.com/Dario_Melendez/status/1524505055008862209?t=HErY2gaV0ON3tKXt3Cavgg&s=19

mufan2003
05-11-2022, 09:41 PM
Nice synopsis of the clutch plays down the stretch. Wes also with a very timely three. The Bucks were 6-6 from beyond the arc in the 4th....this time being the team to come back from a double digit deficit in the 4th.

https://twitter.com/ZoraStephenson/status/1524566617962725379?t=JIRaHPmNZQwD8hZKd9y0kw&s=19

MUfan12
05-11-2022, 09:54 PM
No words for this one. They looked totally cooked.

I've been hard on Jrue for his shot selection in this series but holy balls was he clutch on both ends in crunch time.

Goose85
05-12-2022, 08:17 AM
No words for this one. They looked totally cooked.

I've been hard on Jrue for his shot selection in this series but holy balls was he clutch on both ends in crunch time.

Agree 100%. That block on Smart, then throwing it off him followed by the steal. Wow!

MUfan12
05-12-2022, 09:58 AM
That block on Smart, then throwing it off him followed by the steal. Wow!

That play was one of the most athletic plays I've seen in a long time. Doesn't jump off the screen, but the quickness and body control needed to pull that off is astounding.

mufan2003
05-12-2022, 10:45 AM
Love this quote from Giannis, the job is not done. IMO, treat Game 6 like it is Game 7:

"It feels good [to win], but at the end of the day, can't get too high, can't get too low," Antetokounmpo said. "We were up seven or 10 the previous game; we lost it. They were up; they lost this one. It's just -- keep it going back and forth. At the end of the day, you can't get too high for this.

"Obviously, it's great to win the game, it's great to go back home and feel good about ourselves, but the job is not done."

MUAlphaBangura
05-12-2022, 11:07 AM
Can we please end the George Hill experiment. Guy has nothing to contribute. Really disappointed that Carter isn't on the active roster. Really happy for Bobby Portis after game 5 and his lack of minutes in that contest.

Goose85
05-12-2022, 11:22 AM
Can we please end the George Hill experiment. Guy has nothing to contribute. Really disappointed that Carter isn't on the active roster. Really happy for Bobby Portis after game 5 and his lack of minutes in that contest.

I agree, and would be fine with more minutes for Carter and no or very limited minutes for Hill.

MUfan12
05-12-2022, 01:24 PM
Hopefully last night helps Bobby get some mojo back. He's been oddly passive.

I'm curious to see what they do to hide Grayson defensively. He was getting targeted big time. Also glad to see them do more switching rather than the big dropping while the guard goes over the screen. That really put them at a disadvantage.

mufan2003
05-12-2022, 09:52 PM
https://twitter.com/LilySZhao/status/1524870616029007877?t=fujXbCl797iR8XBNDvtAOUg&s=19

https://twitter.com/DennisKrause1/status/1524883005050871817?t=2rMheeFnILoYygyP9_Q8xQ&s=19

Sounds like the plan was to only activate Middleton in an elimination scenario. The ECF could start Sunday, or be Game 7 against Boston.

Regardless, time to close this out in front of what should be a raucous home crowd.

mufan2003
05-13-2022, 11:01 AM
With Dallas winning last night and forcing a Game 7, Game 1 of the ECF is locked in to starting Tuesday night.

Added incentive to close out tonight.....would provide 3 days of rest/recovery not only for Middleton but the team as well.

https://twitter.com/JeffZillgitt/status/1524966491493474320

Goose85
05-13-2022, 03:13 PM
With Dallas winning last night and forcing a Game 7, Game 1 of the ECF is locked in to starting Tuesday night.

Added incentive to close out tonight.....would provide 3 days of rest/recovery not only for Middleton but the team as well.

https://twitter.com/JeffZillgitt/status/1524966491493474320

I like that logic. Get a W tonight, and then I'd think Middleton would be ready next week.

mufan2003
05-13-2022, 09:43 PM

It is becoming nauseating. Loyalty is good Bud, but it is not 19-20, he is not what he was.

mufan2003
05-13-2022, 10:05 PM
83% of the time, the winner of Game 5 goes on to win the series. The Bucks make up part of the 17% after last year, losing Game 5 @ Brooklyn, then going on to win Game 6 (home) and Game 7 (road).

I would love to win tonight and wrap it up on Friday.....this series could play out so many different ways.

Conventional wisdom:

Game 5: Boston wins (wrong)
Game 6: Milwaukee wins (wrong)
Game 7: Boston wins (?)

Cmon Khris Middleton, it is a MCL sprain, even if you are off the ball as a spot-up shooter, defender flys at you.....pump fake and shoot, or take 2 dribbles in for a lethal mid-range shot. 6'8", Khris never relied on explosion off the court. He always has been a guy who seemed to glide around the court, crafty.......with good height, long arms and an effortless stroke from all 3 levels. (One caveat, moving laterally defensively, I guess I just hope and pray)

My concern is rust, but it is not like he has been doing nothing for 3+ weeks.

The offense, reverting back to very little ball movement, player movement. Guys get confidence touching the ball, keep it moving, early shots in a 24-second clock from Giannis and Jrue are detrimental unless it is a Giannis dunk or Jrue open 3. Giannis, stop reverting back to 2019 when you are always going downhill 100mph from the top of the key......playing with fire. Stats are great, but many opportunities to pass-out on your drives. 40+, 10+......wow, did you win??? Did you make your teammates better?

Frustrating loss, conventional wisdom says Boston advances now.

MUAlphaBangura
05-14-2022, 08:49 AM
[/B][/B]
Conventional wisdom:

Game 5: Boston wins (wrong)
Game 6: Milwaukee wins (wrong)
Game 7: Boston wins (?)

Cmon Khris Middleton, it is a MCL sprain, even if you are off the ball as a spot-up shooter, defender flys at you.....pump fake and shoot, or take 2 dribbles in for a lethal mid-range shot. 6'8", Khris never relied on explosion off the court. He always has been a guy who seemed to glide around the court, crafty.......with good height, long arms and an effortless stroke from all 3 levels. (One caveat, moving laterally defensively, I guess I just hope and pray)

My concern is rust, but it is not like he has been doing nothing for 3+ weeks.

The offense, reverting back to very little ball movement, player movement. Guys get confidence touching the ball, keep it moving, early shots in a 24-second clock from Giannis and Jrue are detrimental unless it is a Giannis dunk or Jrue open 3. Giannis, stop reverting back to 2019 when you are always going downhill 100mph from the top of the key......playing with fire. Stats are great, but many opportunities to pass-out on your drives. 40+, 10+......wow, did you win??? Did you make your teammates better?

Frustrating loss, conventional wisdom says Boston advances now.

Never once has Middleton given me the impression that he is a guy who would tough it out and battle through injuries. I think a bunch of guys on this team would but not Khris.

MUfan12
05-14-2022, 09:03 AM
Never once has Middleton given me the impression that he is a guy who would tough it out and battle through injuries. I think a bunch of guys on this team would but not Khris.

Dude tore his hamstring off the bone and worked his way back two months ahead of schedule. He's doing all he can to be ready, but they don't want a compromised ligament potentially causing a bigger problem.

Goose85
05-16-2022, 08:19 AM
We really missed Middleton, and with him healthy I think we win it all.

Very disappointing, but I think if healthy we have a great shot to win it next season. The window is still very much open.

mufan2003
05-16-2022, 10:08 AM
I agree Goose, disappointed but Giannis is just entering his prime at 27 (already having 1 championship).

Some final thoughts:

(1) Sorry Boston, a bit of an asterisk on your series win. Milwaukee was up 3-2 in this series without Khris Middleton playing 1 second in it. A 6'8" all-Star who can score on all 3 levels and in a lot of ways was the closer for this team with that ability. The Middleton/Giannis pick-n-roll was lethal in 4th quarters. Not only on the offensive end, but the Bucks are bigger and longer on the defensive end when Middleton plays. Playing role reversal, imagine Boston with no Jaylen Brown the entire series while Milwaukee has Middleton the entire series. The series would be over in 5, no longer than 6.

(2) As mentioned, Giannis turned 27 this past December. At least 8 years before you even begin to worry about any drop-off in Giannis' game, turning 35 in his 8th season from now. A team I hope the Bucks can emulate is the San Antonio Spurs under Tim Duncan. Those Spurs teams NEVER WON BACK-TO-BACK CHAMPIONSHIPS. However, they won 5 titles (1999, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2014) with Tim Duncan as the cornerstone. Giannis is our cornerstone.

(3) A much needed break. It sucks to lose, but these guys finally get a full off-season to rest and work on their craft. The Bucks won the title last year at the end of July, then were back at training camp the last week in September. Jrue and Khris played in the Olympics in August. Yes, they managed them well throughout this past season, but the last 2 years, the schedule was crazy with Covid and winning it all.

(4) Continue to be bothered by the Bucks' defensive philosophy that continuously gives up open 3's (even corner 3's). Statistically, Boston was middle-of-the-pack shooting the 3 as a team. Milwaukee made them look much better by practically making it a shootaround for them with no defensive resistance. Something has to change, part of it may include tweeking personnel.

(5) Awesome stat......Giannis the first player ever in a series to accumulate 200 pts, 100 rebs and 50 assists. He is a gem, if the Bucks manage this roster right, hopefully more championships in the future.

*Enjoyed seeing Phoenix get blown out on their home court, and they weren't missing anybody. Feel bad for Jae but not Chris Paul or Devin Booker. Definitely rooting for the Celtics to be eliminated......their players, fans and media are obnoxious and a bunch of whiners (every call). I like the Mavs team and will be pulling for Miami.

Bright days ahead for the Bucks, just getting started. Some time off will be good. Good culture from the top down, continue to assemble the right pieces around Giannis and hopefully more championships in the future.

MUfan12
05-16-2022, 11:12 AM
(3) A much needed break. It sucks to lose, but these guys finally get a full off-season to rest and work on their craft. The Bucks won the title last year at the end of July, then were back at training camp the last week in September. Jrue and Khris played in the Olympics in August. Yes, they managed them well throughout this past season, but the last 2 years, the schedule was crazy with Covid and winning it all.

(4) Continue to be bothered by the Bucks' defensive philosophy that continuously gives up open 3's (even corner 3's). Statistically, Boston was middle-of-the-pack shooting the 3 as a team. Milwaukee made them look much better by practically making it a shootaround for them with no defensive resistance. Something has to change, part of it may include tweeking personnel.

Wanted to focus on these two points... they looked like a team that played a lot of basketball in the last 18 months. I think it caught up to the Bucks and Suns.

I think the underpinnings of the philosophy are sound, but man, the rigidity to it is hard to take sometimes. I think we'll see some movement in personnel. I don't know if Brook or Portis are here next year.

It's tempting to chalk this up to Midds being out and wanting to run it back, but there were cracks showing all season. They have to get bigger and more athletic at the 2/3. Find some shooting in the draft if you keep the pick. And I would highly encourage Bud to add an offensive coordinator type to his staff. The halfcourt offense was good enough last year, but killed them the other three seasons. Have to find a way to make it translate from regular season to postseason.

mufan2003
05-16-2022, 11:35 AM
Wanted to focus on these two points... they looked like a team that played a lot of basketball in the last 18 months. I think it caught up to the Bucks and Suns.

I think the underpinnings of the philosophy are sound, but man, the rigidity to it is hard to take sometimes. I think we'll see some movement in personnel. I don't know if Brook or Portis are here next year.

It's tempting to chalk this up to Midds being out and wanting to run it back, but there were cracks showing all season. They have to get bigger and more athletic at the 2/3. Find some shooting in the draft if you keep the pick. And I would highly encourage Bud to add an offensive coordinator type to his staff. The halfcourt offense was good enough last year, but killed them the other three seasons. Have to find a way to make it translate from regular season to postseason.

The Bucks have needed another wing with size that can defend and shoot. I am sure they tried at the trade deadline, but needed insurance on Brook Lopez (Ibaka) and gave up their best asset (DiVincenzo) to get him. Bembry's defense may have helped a bit with his length. At least would have given you another option when you needed stops (better than George Hill).

I adamantly believe the Bucks win this series with Middleton. Not only his scoring, but people underestimate his playmaking and ability to have the ball in his hands late 3rd and 4th.......alleviating Giannis and Jrue from doing all of the ball-handling. Boston is a good team, but Bucks win this series with Middleton healthy from Game 1.

Regardless, the disappointing loss in the ECSF will provide motivation for the players/franchise this offseason and going into next season.

Goose85
05-16-2022, 03:27 PM
The Bucks have needed another wing with size that can defend and shoot. I am sure they tried at the trade deadline, but needed insurance on Brook Lopez (Ibaka) and gave up their best asset (DiVincenzo) to get him. Bembry's defense may have helped a bit with his length. At least would have given you another option when you needed stops (better than George Hill).

I adamantly believe the Bucks win this series with Middleton. Not only his scoring, but people underestimate his playmaking and ability to have the ball in his hands late 3rd and 4th.......alleviating Giannis and Jrue from doing all of the ball-handling. Boston is a good team, but Bucks win this series with Middleton healthy from Game 1.

Regardless, the disappointing loss in the ECSF will provide motivation for the players/franchise this offseason and going into next season.

With respect to a wing with size that can shoot, one player in the draft that intrigues me is Baldwin from Milwaukee. Pending workouts, he looks like he very well could be there for the Bucks.
Had he not been injured and played at UWM, he was supposed to be a lottery pick. That is size on the wing, and with some defense, could be a real good addition to the Bucks.

We certainly win that series with Middleton.

Not sure if they pay Portis or not. Somebody will offer him money.

MUfan12
05-16-2022, 04:15 PM
With respect to a wing with size that can shoot, one player in the draft that intrigues me is Baldwin from Milwaukee. Pending workouts, he looks like he very well could be there for the Bucks.
Had he not been injured and played at UWM, he was supposed to be a lottery pick. That is size on the wing, and with some defense, could be a real good addition to the Bucks.

I get the thought process, but Nwora is a big wing scorer and couldn't get off the bench because of his defense, even when the Bucks couldn't throw it in the ocean. From what I saw of Baldwin he was even less engaged on that end of the floor.

The upside is there, but once Bud buries ya on the bench...

mufan2003
05-16-2022, 06:50 PM
Thankful the Bucks won it all last season.....otherwise every national media angle would be "Does Giannis need to leave Milwaukee to win a championship"? Got that out of the way right after signing his new contract. There isn't a cloud of panic hanging over the franchise after Giannis re-signed and won it all.

An interesting balancing act for the Bucks. Giannis has the player option for the 25-26 season. Have to imagine you look at it as a 3-year window, only looking to acquire or re-sign NBA established players in win-now mode for more championships? Jrue Holiday will be 32 next month and Khris Middleton turns 31 in August. Those 2 along with Giannis are the core for the next 3 years that Giannis is locked in under contract. All three are good 2-way players.

The questions lie with everyone else. Other than the "Big 3" and 2 more years of Grayson Allen, not many long-term contracts. Lopez is under contract for 1 more season as is George Hill (expiring contracts attractive in potential trades). Portis and Connaughton have player options for 22-23 (low market value). Bucks have the #24 pick in the first round. It is going to be an interesting offseason.