PDA

View Full Version : Bucks vs Bulls

mufan2003
04-11-2022, 10:55 AM
Here we go, Chicago it is. On Easter Sunday, time TBD.

I wanted the Bucks to play for the #2 seed and go for the win on Sunday, securing home-court advantage in a potential ECSF matchup with Boston.....but who knows how it all plays out. Most important, the Bucks are playing very good basketball heading into the playoffs and have a healthy, deep roster. Deeper than last year, albeit the Eastern Conference is better as well.

I think Toronto could "upset" Philly in the first round. If Brooklyn falls to #8, I could see them knocking off the Heat in the first round. I think Boston and Milwaukee have been playing the best basketball in the East.

The playoffs, especially the Eastern Conference, have the potential to be very entertaining....starting in the first round. Fear the Deer!!

mufan2003
04-11-2022, 10:57 AM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33716884/nba-playoffs-2022-75-things-need-know-20-teams-standing

https://www.nba.com/news/series-preview-milwaukee-bucks-3-vs-chicago-bulls-6

Goose85
04-11-2022, 02:41 PM
Avoiding Brooklyn in round 1 was probably a good idea. I'd rather have Chicago in round 1 than Brooklyn.

Should we beat the Bulls, would we then play the winner of Philly v. Toronto?

mufan2003
04-11-2022, 03:07 PM
Avoiding Brooklyn in round 1 was probably a good idea. I'd rather have Chicago in round 1 than Brooklyn.

Should we beat the Bulls, would we then play the winner of Philly v. Toronto?

Objectively, I don't think anyone can dispute that. Chicago's record against upper echelon teams is terrible. They beat up on average to poor teams.

Milwaukee would play the winner of Boston/#7 seed. If it is Boston, the Celtics would have home-court advantage. If Brooklyn, the Bucks obviously would.

I guess you can't technically rule out Cleveland winning tomorrow night and getting the 7th seed......leaving Brooklyn's only option as the 8th seed facing Miami.

Regardless, you will have to face and defeat good teams to get back to the Finals. Bucks have been doing that over the past month.

Goose85
04-11-2022, 03:16 PM
Objectively, I don't think anyone can dispute that. Chicago's record against upper echelon teams is terrible. They beat up on average to poor teams.

Milwaukee would play the winner of Boston/#7 seed. If it is Boston, the Celtics would have home-court advantage. If Brooklyn, the Bucks obviously would.

I guess you can't technically rule out Cleveland winning tomorrow night and getting the 7th seed......leaving Brooklyn's only option as the 8th seed facing Miami.

Regardless, you will have to face and defeat good teams to get back to the Finals. Bucks have been doing that over the past month.

Yep, I had it backward. So we get Boston / Brooklyn? winner.

The Bulls haven't beat the Bucks when Giannis has played in a few years. Hope we can take care of Business and then are rested up for the winner of the Boston series.

mufan2003
04-13-2022, 11:08 AM
5:30pm Sunday on TNT

https://twitter.com/eric_nehm/status/1514111481746501638

Goose85
04-18-2022, 10:24 AM
Middleton had a tough game, Bucks looked sloppy, and the Bucks still pulled out a W.

Haven't won a lot of first games of playoffs series, so I'll take that as a positive.

Next game Middleton has a big game and the Bucks roll.

mufan2003
04-18-2022, 11:24 AM
Middleton had a tough game, Bucks looked sloppy, and the Bucks still pulled out a W.

Haven't won a lot of first games of playoffs series, so I'll take that as a positive.

Next game Middleton has a big game and the Bucks roll.

Bucks have historically been poor in Game 1s, especially when there is a week off. Strange, but it always seems to happen.

Bucks shot 40.5% (34-84) on FGs, 26.3% (10-38) beyond the arc and 65.2% (15-23) from the foul line. Bad numbers across the board. The Bucks are one of the better 3-point shooting teams in the league, one of the best overall offensive teams period. The Bulls shot poorly as well. It was an ugly game.

I expect the Bucks to pick it up as they get into a rhythm with the schedule. 2 more days off, but then back to playing every other day. Overall, I think the week off was good to give guys some rest before what is hopefully another deep playoff run.

Boston/Brooklyn series looks like it is going to be fantastic.

Goose85
04-18-2022, 11:29 AM
Bucks have historically been poor in Game 1s, especially when there is a week off. Strange, but it always seems to happen.

Bucks shot 40.5% (34-84) on FGs, 26.3% (10-38) beyond the arc and 65.2% (15-23) from the foul line. Bad numbers across the board. The Bucks are one of the better 3-point shooting teams in the league, one of the best overall offensive teams period. The Bulls shot poorly as well. It was an ugly game.

I expect the Bucks to pick it up as they get into a rhythm with the schedule. 2 more days off, but then back to playing every other day. Overall, I think the week off was good to give guys some rest before what is hopefully another deep playoff run.

Boston/Brooklyn series looks like it is going to be fantastic.

Glad we aren't in that battle. That series seems to be more of an Eastern Conference Finals than a round 1 playoff series.
Which team is the better match-up for the Bucks?

mufan2003
04-18-2022, 11:43 AM
Glad we aren't in that battle. That series seems to be more of an Eastern Conference Finals than a round 1 playoff series.
Which team is the better match-up for the Bucks?

Good question, I tend to be one that is more focused on the Bucks being at their best then worrying about who they face. If Giannis, Middleton, Holiday, Brook, Portis, Connaughton, etc are at their best.....they are the favorites to get back to the Finals (IMO).

Boston has better size across the board, a much better defensive team than Brooklyn. Brooklyn has the best overall offensive player in the NBA (Durant) along with another great scorer in Irving. Boston's Tatum is very good, but still not as dominant as Durant can be. Tatum and Brown are a very good scoring tandem. Smart is a tough, defensive PG (not as good as Jrue though).

If Boston gets Robert Williams back, they only get better on the defensive end. Brooklyn might get more pub, but I think Boston is the better team. I see that series going 7.

MUAlphaBangura
04-19-2022, 07:27 AM
Good question, I tend to be one that is more focused on the Bucks being at their best then worrying about who they face. If Giannis, Middleton, Holiday, Brook, Portis, Connaughton, etc are at their best.....they are the favorites to get back to the Finals (IMO).

Boston has better size across the board, a much better defensive team than Brooklyn. Brooklyn has the best overall offensive player in the NBA (Durant) along with another great scorer in Irving. Boston's Tatum is very good, but still not as dominant as Durant can be. Tatum and Brown are a very good scoring tandem. Smart is a tough, defensive PG (not as good as Jrue though).

If Boston gets Robert Williams back, they only get better on the defensive end. Brooklyn might get more pub, but I think Boston is the better team. I see that series going 7.

He just won Defensive Player of the Year. Just sayin'.

MUfan12
04-19-2022, 10:29 AM

He did, but that doesn't mean Jrue isn't criminally underrated.

Bucks would take Brooklyn in 5 or 6. Boston is a much tougher out. Glad they'll hopefully have the fresher legs after that one goes 7.

Goose85
04-19-2022, 11:49 AM

Bucks would take Brooklyn in 5 or 6. Boston is a much tougher out. Glad they'll hopefully have the fresher legs after that one goes 7.

Let me start by saying I think the Bucks are the best team in the East. Being the best doesn't mean you will make it to the finals, and the winner of Brooklyn / Boston will make for one heck of a battle.
I agree that I think we would match up better with the Nets even though they have Durant and Irving.

The Celtics just seem to be a tough team similar to the Bucks. Smart just always battles and seems to disrupt the Bucks, thought I would take Jrue every day over Smart.
With that being said, I think Smart can really be a difference maker in a series, as it seems the playoffs the game becomes more physical which is right up his alley. Same can be said for Holiday.

mufan2003
04-19-2022, 02:50 PM

I was highlighting Smart's strengths but saying Jrue is the better all-around PG. Jrue's scoring, shooting, playmaking and rebounding all better (career and this season). Jrue's shooting %'s this year are off the charts.

Smart:

Career - 10.5 (PPG), 38.2% (FGs), 32.1% (3FGs), 4.5 (AST), 3.6 (REB)
This Season - 12.1 (PPG), 41.8% (FGs), 33.1% (3FGs), 5.9 (AST), 3.8 (REB)

Holiday:

Career - 16.2 (PPG), 46% (FGs), 36.3% (3FGs), 6.4 (AST), 4 (REB)
This Season - 18.3 (PPG), 50.1% (FGs), 41.1% (3FGs), 6.8 (AST), 4.5 (REB)

mufan2003
04-19-2022, 02:59 PM

Jrue isn't even underrated defensively. People in the league know how good Jrue is defensively. If Jokic wins MVP this year, does that mean he is better than Giannis?

Jrue Holiday has 3 All-NBA Defense appearances and Marcus Smart has 2 appearances. It is a push defensively, but Jrue clearly the better offensive/all-around player:

All-NBA Defensive Team

17-18: Holiday-1st Team
18-19: Smart-1st Team, Holiday-2nd Team
19-20: Smart-1st Team
20-21: Holiday-1st Team

*As a sidenote, Giannis with 4 All-NBA Defense selections with 3 of those being 1st Team.

mufan2003
04-19-2022, 03:00 PM
Andre Iguodala: "It's like Steph Curry or Kevin Durant on offense, he's (Jrue) that guy on defense.":

https://twitter.com/Bucks/status/1515047153932058624

mufan2003
04-19-2022, 03:14 PM
Let me start by saying I think the Bucks are the best team in the East. Being the best doesn't mean you will make it to the finals, and the winner of Brooklyn / Boston will make for one heck of a battle.
I agree that I think we would match up better with the Nets even though they have Durant and Irving.

The Celtics just seem to be a tough team similar to the Bucks. Smart just always battles and seems to disrupt the Bucks, thought I would take Jrue every day over Smart.
With that being said, I think Smart can really be a difference maker in a series, as it seems the playoffs the game becomes more physical which is right up his alley. Same can be said for Holiday.

One former NBA GM on Sirius XM Radio say he believes it will be Boston/Milwaukee......and the winner will go on to win the East.

Completely agree on Holiday over Smart, don't have to think long about it either.

Goose85
04-19-2022, 03:39 PM
While we all seem to think Holiday is the better overall player and we'd prefer him over Smart, as Alpha Bangura pointed out, Smart did win defensive player so he is really good.

mufan2003
04-19-2022, 03:51 PM
While we all seem to think Holiday is the better overall player and we'd prefer him over Smart, as Alpha Bangura pointed out, Smart did win defensive player so he is really good.

For sure, although I would go with "really good" defensively. He is a bit too streaky offensively for my taste, not a consistent playmaker.

Smart did make a hell of a pass on Sunday to win the game when most people thought he would panic and hoist up a shot. A series against Boston would be very tough, like the ECSF last year against Brooklyn (potentially).

Goose85
04-20-2022, 08:59 AM
For sure, although I would go with "really good" defensively. He is a bit too streaky offensively for my taste, not a consistent playmaker.

Smart did make a hell of a pass on Sunday to win the game when most people thought he would panic and hoist up a shot. A series against Boston would be very tough, like the ECSF last year against Brooklyn (potentially).

Agree, really good or even great defensively. Not really good on the offensive end.

mufan2003
04-20-2022, 09:30 AM
How about the Suns losing a game at home? Booker aggravated a hamstring in the 2nd half, but New Orleans looked good and was winning while Booker was in the game. McCollum, Brandon Ingram, Trey Murphy, Valanciunas and former Shaka recruit/player at Texas Jaxson Hayes. I don't think anyone is concerned the Suns will lose the series, but I would not have imagined them losing on their home court to the #8 seed.

Great lineup tonight with Brooklyn/Boston followed by Bucks/Bulls (76ers/Raptors on NBATV).

Goose85
04-20-2022, 10:38 AM
How about the Suns losing a game at home? Booker aggravated a hamstring in the 2nd half, but New Orleans looked good and was winning while Booker was in the game. McCollum, Brandon Ingram, Trey Murphy, Valanciunas and former Shaka recruit/player at Texas Jaxson Hayes. I don't think anyone is concerned the Suns will lose the series, but I would not have imagined them losing on their home court to the #8 seed.

Great lineup tonight with Brooklyn/Boston followed by Bucks/Bulls (76ers/Raptors on NBATV).

Talk about must see TV if you are a hoops fan. Glad the Brewers have a day game so there is no distraction.

MUfan12
04-20-2022, 11:28 PM
Very concerned. Especially if Portis and Middleton have to sit more than one game. They've been absolutely awful for about 85 of the 96 minutes played so far.

MUfan12
04-21-2022, 12:10 AM
Sprained MCL for Middleton. Big trouble.

Goose85
04-21-2022, 08:12 AM
Sprained MCL for Middleton. Big trouble.

That is big trouble.

We need to come out and play with some intensity that seems to have been lacking a bit. When watching the Boston - Brooklyn game that seemed to have way more intensity than the Bucks - Bulls.

MUfan12
04-21-2022, 08:44 AM
We need to come out and play with some intensity that seems to have been lacking a bit. When watching the Boston - Brooklyn game that seemed to have way more intensity than the Bucks - Bulls.

That's been my issue with them all year. Their focus and intensity would fade in and out so much. Now they've gotten to the playoffs and they're treating it like a January midweek game.

mufan2003
04-21-2022, 10:52 AM
Very concerned. Especially if Portis and Middleton have to sit more than one game. They've been absolutely awful for about 85 of the 96 minutes played so far.

Sounds like Portis will be available to go Friday, stitch it up and go. Middleton is interesting, I have read a "mild MCL sprain" can be 1-2 weeks while Brian Windhorst reported 2-4 weeks. Sounds like there can be a lot of leeway with the injury, supposedly better clarification after the MRI today.

I completely agree with what appears to be the Bucks going through the motions. Don't see the same fire/intensity from Jrue, Khris and even Giannis. All of the sweep talk has these guys treating it like they can just go through the motions.

The Bucks do this, losing Game 1 of the ECF last year to the Hawks at home. It will drive you crazy. Need more from the bench, Portis had to leave the game but Connaughton and Allen gave you next to nothing.

mufan2003
04-21-2022, 10:55 AM
Injuries playing a factor in the first round of the playoffs. Devin Booker projected to miss games 3 and 4 in New Orleans. Luka Doncic has been out for Dallas. Now Middleton may miss games 3 and 4 in Chicago. Time to see what the Bucks are made of and who steps up. I have felt the depth is much improved, it may be needed now. Kick the tires on Nwora?

Also sounds like Ben Simmons will return for Game 4 in Brooklyn:

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1517165928089333760

mufan2003
04-21-2022, 11:53 AM
https://twitter.com/GameInjuryDoc/status/1517001846157586433

https://twitter.com/GameInjuryDoc/status/1517006055602937856

Goose85
04-21-2022, 12:47 PM
We can survive a few games without Middleton if others can pick up the shooting (Allen, Matthews, Connaughton), but we can't survive the first round if we don't start playing with the intensity required for the playoffs.

Goose85
04-21-2022, 03:18 PM
Sounds like Middleton will be out 3-4 weeks. Being playoff time, I'm sure the medical staff will be on him day and night to try and shorten that window period for recovery.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-bucks-star-khris-middleton-060100932.html

mufan2003
04-22-2022, 10:48 AM
https://twitter.com/LisaByington/status/1517523653583417348

mufan2003
04-22-2022, 09:53 PM
Now that was more like it. It is just evident when the Bucks are dialed in and when they are just going through the motions.

Supposedly a lot of sports talk radio in Chicago saying the Bucks look vulnerable and unsure of themselves. I just think the Bucks finally came in with the focus needed when it is the playoffs.

Allen, Portis and Connaughton stepped it up, especially Allen and Portis. On to the next one.

AbovetheRim
04-22-2022, 10:01 PM
Now that was more like it. It is just evident when the Bucks are dialed in and when they are just going through the motions.

Supposedly a lot of sports talk radio in Chicago saying the Bucks look vulnerable and unsure of themselves. I just think the Bucks finally came in with the focus needed when it is the playoffs.

Allen, Portis and Connaughton stepped it up, especially Allen and Portis. On to the next one.

I swear I've been saying this for 7 years but somebody in the NBA finally committed to making DeRozen use his left hand the majority of the time. He is not close to the same player that direction.

mufan2003
04-22-2022, 10:13 PM
I swear I've been saying this for 7 years but somebody in the NBA finally committed to making DeRozen use his left hand the majority of the time. He is not close to the same player that direction.

Yes. It was evident from the tip that the Bucks would funnel DeRozan to his left. Great team defensive effort. 5 guys functioning together.

Coaches like Budenholzer and Spoelstra.....guys that started off as video coordinators and worked their way up learning from great coaches/executives (Riley and Poppovich).

They know how to watch film and adjust accordingly. Budenholzer took a lot of s**t last season, but I thought he won a championship with a very thin roster that didn't go more than 7 deep. Much deeper this go around (hopefully get Middleton back should they advance to the ECSF).

mufan2003
04-22-2022, 10:59 PM
Agree, Player of the Game:

https://twitter.com/Tuff__Crowd/status/1517692740686868480?t=H6-BY3mSp-fcCL5iGM_dJA&s=19

AbovetheRim
04-24-2022, 02:40 PM
Rinse and repeat. Every post here from Game 3 applicable once again. Funnel DeRozen to his left, Grayson Allen knocking down shots, great rebounding and team defense.

Goose85
04-25-2022, 08:09 AM
Playoff intensity and Allen picking up on the scoring. We are a far better team than the Bulls, even without Middleton. Finally started playing like it.

Boston has looked really good. Durant also looks like he has had it with the team / Kyrie. I don't think he will be too disappointed when the season is over.
Watched their playoff games and rarely do they run offense for him. Not many ball screens, back side screens for Durant. He is being used more as a spot up shooter with Kyrie driving and maybe kicking.

Either way, I was worried about Brooklyn, but it is Boston that is the team to beat.

mufan2003
04-25-2022, 11:21 AM
Games 3 and 4 in Chicago were very enjoyable, stress-free as a fan. Bucks controlled both games from the tip.

Boston is very good, I still give the edge to the Bucks (assuming Middleton is back) as I think they are just as good defensively but better collectively on the offensive end. Milwaukee's defensive numbers during the regular season were skewed due to Lopez practically being out for the entirety. Through 4 games in the playoffs, defensively, I believe they are giving up the lowest PPG of any playoff team.

I think Brooklyn is being exposed.....as to how good they really are outside of Durant (who hasn't been great himself). At times, with Patty Mills, Irving and Seth Curry on the floor......they are so small and liabilities on the defensive end.

mufan2003
04-27-2022, 11:39 AM
https://twitter.com/eric_nehm/status/1519159194368282626

If the Bucks win tonight, Game 1 @ Boston would be Sunday at 12pm. Lavine and Caruso listed as out for tonight's game.

If I were to bet, Middleton would be held out of Game 1 with a chance to play in Game 2. If the Bucks win Game 1, do you give him more rest and keep him out of Game 2 (having won 4 in a row) as well?

Getting ahead of myself for sure, but I just don't get the sense it is a 3-4 week injury (certainly could be wrong). Maybe it is as simple as he comes back when 100%, but sometimes how the team fares in a player's absence plays a role.

Goose85
04-27-2022, 03:54 PM
https://twitter.com/eric_nehm/status/1519159194368282626

If the Bucks win tonight, Game 1 @ Boston would be Sunday at 12pm. Lavine and Caruso listed as out for tonight's game.

If I were to bet, Middleton would be held out of Game 1 with a chance to play in Game 2. If the Bucks win Game 1, do you give him more rest and keep him out of Game 2 (having won 4 in a row) as well?

Getting ahead of myself for sure, but I just don't get the sense it is a 3-4 week injury (certainly could be wrong). Maybe it is as simple as he comes back when 100%, but sometimes how the team fares in a player's absence plays a role.

Was really disappointed the Nets couldn't pull out at least one win to give Middleton a little more time. Bulls are without key players, so while they may come out of the gates fast, I don't think they will be able to keep it up for a full game.

Like you MUFan2003, I think no Middleton in game 1 and hope he is good to go for game 2.