Bob Semling, UWSP coach:

http://athletics.uwsp.edu/staff.aspx?staff=5

Jimmy Lemke
03-22-2016, 04:55 PM
Tom Billeter, Amanda follows him on Twitter as of this winter, Augustana coach:

http://www.goaugie.com/coaches.aspx?rc=755&path=mbball

MayorCK
03-23-2016, 03:16 PM
Gery Woelfel of the Racine Journal Times has mentioned former Bucks player and assistant coach Joe Wolf as being "very interested" in the position both on Twitter and the Bill Michaels show.

Jimmy Lemke
03-24-2016, 12:37 PM
I've heard. I wonder if we can get Christian on here to talk about it. I'm sure Joe Wolf sees it as a Fred Hoiberg scenario - cut his teeth in college and jump to the NBA.

Mark Miller
03-24-2016, 04:18 PM
I believe Luke Reigel of Parkside is interested. Has 20 or more games in each of the past 4 seasons.

IWB
03-24-2016, 04:56 PM
I believe Luke Reigel of Parkside is interested. Has 20 or more games in each of the past 4 seasons.

Reigel has been at Parkside for a while, hasn't he? Solid guy, good coach. If she decides to go D2, he would be a good hire, I still think TJO is where they need to look.

Jimmy Lemke
03-24-2016, 07:40 PM
I would be surprised if Luke Reigel was really interested. He is a Bo Ryan guy, after all, and I've been told by two or three members of the coaching tree (and none of them worked for Rob's staff at UWM) that almost the entire Bo Ryan Coaching Tree isn't interested in working for Amanda Braun.

Jimmy Lemke
03-25-2016, 09:41 AM
Story on the Otzelberger-Bennett relationship:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/basketball-mens/2016/03/24/tj-otzelberger-tony-bennett-iowa-state-cyclones-virginia-cavaliers/82231408/

jhart05
03-25-2016, 09:59 AM
Tom Billeter, Amanda follows him on Twitter as of this winter, Augustana coach:

http://www.goaugie.com/coaches.aspx?rc=755&path=mbball

They were on ESPN last night. DVR'd the game. Saw they won big so are moving on to the Championship game Saturday, 2pm, CBS.

Jimmy Lemke
03-25-2016, 10:32 AM
They were on ESPN last night. DVR'd the game. Saw they won big so are moving on to the Championship game Saturday, 2pm, CBS.

I wonder, does he move atop TJ on the list of he wins the national title?

TheDarkHawkReturns
03-25-2016, 11:23 AM
I wonder if those bashing Jeter's performance over the years will be excited about Billeter? Here are his conference finishes since 2003-04:

8th, 7th, 5th, 5th, 2nd, 6th, 3rd, 3rd, t-4th, 3rd, t-9th, t-1st.

Wasn't one of the major arguments in favor of the firing that Jeter could not dominate the conference and finish in the top 3 consistently? Not that I am trashing Tom in any way, here....it's just interesting to me that this record would make a coach desirable when it is very similar to me to the one of the coach we just fired, except that the fired coach was at the D1 level already (and thus had stiffer competition).

After hearing so much made of meeting goals of "Top 3 in Conference" and "Top 100", I would think a stronger track record would be required of the replacement. Or maybe all that talk from Braun was BS to start with.....nah...that can't be the case at all, can it?

jhart05
03-25-2016, 11:51 AM
I actually did a little analysis of my own with conference finishes since 2005-06.
If schools finished with the same conference record, I didn't bother to dig deeper to look at head-to-head matchups to see who technically finished ahead of who in the standings. Gave both schools credit for finishing in that spot.

<tbody>
Team
05-06
06-07
07-08
08-09
09-10
10-11
11-12
12-13
13-14
14-15
15-16
AVG

Butler

Valparaiso

Oakland

Green Bay

Wright State

Milwaukee

Cleveland State

Detroit

UIC

Loyola

Youngstown State

Northern Kentucky

</tbody>

Jimmy Lemke
03-25-2016, 01:40 PM
Thanks for putting that together, Hart! Again, I think that it's plain to see that based on these numbers, the school should move on from Jeter. I just worry that the program is going to get the same level of support that it did under Jeter - that's a recipe for the same.

MayorCK
03-25-2016, 01:58 PM
Man, when you look at that table, it really gives you a big picture of how Youngstown and UIC drag this conference down.

DunneDeal
03-25-2016, 02:09 PM
Jeter is gone and we move on. Whoever we hire, clearly knows the AD stance on finishing and RPI. So the goals are out there and said as much. Now, whoever gets hired, needs to deliver, I play the same rule with any coaching change, you get 3 years. Year 1, you come in, not your players and your system. Year 2, you have some players and the team knows the system, Year 3, all of your players and the system is in place.

If after year 3 or 4, we havent finished top 3, or top 100 RPI, then they need to go, IF, Amanda is still AD.

Spirit of Bruce
03-25-2016, 02:20 PM
My serious problem with the Top 100 RPI thing is that it is not possible in this conference on a year to year basis. In the A-10, this would essentially take care of itself.

Jimmy Lemke
03-25-2016, 02:30 PM
My serious problem with the Top 100 RPI thing is that it is not possible in this conference on a year to year basis. In the A-10, this would essentially take care of itself.

THIS is what makes the decisions by Braun and more Bob Grant so frustrating. You want to be the best? Great. Go be the best. But be the best by supporting your program. The best way to do that, at this point, is by finding a better conference. The Horizon League was leapfrogged by the Summit League of all conferences - that's right, the same Summit League that we've all pointed and laughed at for 20 years. This conference isn't the same league it was 5-7 years ago, or even 10-12 years ago.

We need to win, most definitely, but you're only hurting the program when you hamstring the basketball budget, vote for things like this ridiculous HLT and allow rugrats like NKU in the conference when the obvious anchor that is YSU remains.

Get the net, Braun.

MU/Panther
03-25-2016, 02:31 PM
You mean CBSSN it was on last night?

jhart05
03-25-2016, 02:33 PM
That's kind of what I think about the "100 RPI" thing.

Plus being in a Mid-Major Conference does that really even matter for getting into the Tourney? The committee seems to say "no" by their actions.

Ask Valpo if they think RPI matters anymore. Or even St. Mary's. I wouldn't call the West Coast a true mid-major conference, but I guess they are.

jhart05
03-25-2016, 02:40 PM
You mean CBSSN it was on last night?

I don't know, maybe. Don't really look at the channel, just hit the record button.

Mark Miller
03-25-2016, 02:56 PM
Milwaukee native and DII coach Donte Jackson of Stillman has emerged as one of the leading candidates, sources say.

TheDarkHawkReturns
03-25-2016, 03:29 PM
Stillman has a pretty short resume and no time in D1 that I can see anywhere. Only 8 years as a HC and all in D2.

Mark Miller
03-25-2016, 03:58 PM
Things moving fast ... new list ... concentrating on Pat Baldwin, Chris Lowery, Dwayne Stephens, Isaac Chew, Tracy Webster.

MU/Panther
03-25-2016, 04:20 PM
Wow, thanks for the list Mark. Interesting that everyone is black. Maybe that will shut Lena Taylor's fat mouth.

TheDarkHawkReturns
03-25-2016, 04:21 PM
None of those names seems like the "impact" hire Braun defenders were expecting...but what do I know?

MU/Panther
03-25-2016, 04:30 PM
We'll if anyone thought Tom Izzo was walking thru the door, well..........fill in the blank.

TheDarkHawkReturns
03-25-2016, 04:32 PM
No...but certain members of the Amanda Braun Fan Club.....oops, I mean the Freakboard....were all but willing to bet their life savings on a guy like TJ....ummm....not so much. I love the Buzz Williams disciple....can't wait for us to have the fun MU did.

MU/Panther
03-25-2016, 05:00 PM
I for one, would love TJ, but I wasn't betting on that.

Chris Lowery stunk it up in his final years at SIU.

Dwayne Stephens is a surprise of a name to leave Michigan State. I'm would guess his pay is a bit higher at MSU.

Isaac Chew, I would love at UWM. Great recruiter.

Donte Jackson had a very nice year. There is something I like about a D2 coach.

CoachC
03-25-2016, 05:06 PM
I wonder/wish if there's any experienced D1 coaches, presently out of the game and itching to get back and prove themselves again.

CoachC
03-25-2016, 05:11 PM
Steve Lavin???

parkerj
03-25-2016, 05:13 PM
I can think of one that just came on the market

#TeamGregory

Jimmy Lemke
03-25-2016, 05:25 PM
That list that Mark Miller posted looks to be the list. Same one Jeff Goodman tweeted out.

Jimmy Lemke
03-25-2016, 05:26 PM
Put me on #TeamGregory too. Of course, that's just a pipe dream.

Hey Amanda - you want me to get on my knees and beg forgiveness? Go hire Brian Gregory.

CoachC
03-25-2016, 05:34 PM
Jimmy, forget begging Braun for forgiveness, you would have to beg Gregory to take it.

Jimmy Lemke
03-25-2016, 05:44 PM
Jimmy, forget begging Braun for forgiveness, you would have to beg Gregory to take it.

No doubt about it LOL

Jimmy Lemke
03-25-2016, 06:00 PM
Dwayne Stephens

Link: Michigan State bio (http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/stephens_dwayne00.html)

Link: Twitter (https://twitter.com/djstephens31?lang=en)

Isaac Chew

Link: Virginia Tech bio (http://www.hokiesports.com/staff/chew_isaac.html)

Tracy Webster

Link: Cal-Berkeley bio (http://www.calbears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30100&ATCLID=209484304)

Pat Baldwin

Link: Northwestern bio (http://www.nusports.com/news/2013/4/19/Baldwin_Returns_to_Northwestern_as_Assistant_Coach .aspx)

Link: Twitter (https://twitter.com/nubaldwin23)

Chris Lowery

Link: Kansas State bio (http://www.kstatesports.com/sport/m-baskbl/2015/roster/5589bccfe4b09d6fde8f215d)

MU/Panther
03-25-2016, 06:27 PM
Steve Lavin, Brian Gregory not in the price range.

MU/Panther
03-25-2016, 06:31 PM
Jeff Goodman*‏@GoodmanESPN

Some names for the vacant Milwaukee gig, per sources: Dwayne Stephens, Isaac Chew, Pat Baldwin, Chris Lowery and Tracy Webster.

Who are Jeff Goodman sources, Mark Miller.

Jimmy Lemke
03-25-2016, 08:48 PM
TJ Otzelberger is now available to talk.

MayorCK
03-25-2016, 11:00 PM
He's already got Tom tweeting at him to run for the hills if Braun comes a callin'.

gman2
03-25-2016, 11:08 PM
Drew Diener (http://www.rockhursthawks.com/coaches.aspx?rc=158&path=mbball)

Jimmy Lemke
03-26-2016, 10:35 AM
Drew Diener (http://www.rockhursthawks.com/coaches.aspx?rc=158&path=mbball)

Is Diener actually a candidate? I haven't heard from anyone who has said that. I know there are certain things you can get away with in NAIA that you can't in NCAA, so I would have been happier with a lower-division NCAA title. But if the guy can coach, the guy can coach - and Drew Diener took a team of players and won a national championship. That's not easy to do on any level in any sport.

The only guy on Mark Miller's list with head coaching experience is Chris Lowery, who got fired from Southern Illinois in 2012 for basically being Rob Jeter. The rest of them? They all look like Rob Jeter-type coaches.

Which isn't a bad thing, at least to me. But wasn't everyone demanding a lower-division coach with experience, and trying to stay away from the high-major recruiter assistant?

uwm97
03-26-2016, 10:45 AM
I'll take Donte Jackson or Pat Miller over all those assistants. Drew Dienrr as well.

Jimmy Lemke
03-26-2016, 10:51 AM
One thing on Donte Jackson that people may not know: he was a player at Milwaukee in the 1997-98 season, a freshman out of Milwaukee Hamilton. Transferred and played the rest of his career at Central State. Here's his stats for Milwaukee at Basketball-Reference:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/donte-jackson-1.html

parkerj
03-26-2016, 12:40 PM
The only guy on Mark Miller's list with head coaching experience is Chris Lowery, who got fired from Southern Illinois in 2012 for basically being Rob Jeter

Win percentage wise they were similar, but Lowery was handed the keys to a truly elite mid-major(ish) team and ran it off a cliff. Given that this isn't the pros and there's no draft, I'll take Jeter's results any day

BBF
03-26-2016, 01:05 PM
Gotta agree with parker. After three very good years with Weber's and Painter's recruits, Lowery's record was 18-15, 13-18, 13-19 and 8-23.

To call the coaching candidates being tossed around underwhelming would be a massive understatement. When does she start adding high school coaches to the list? But here's the most important question: does anyone believe that any of these guys -- or 25 guys just like them -- wouldn't have been available next year after Rob's contract termed? It's laughable! Anyone who claims the AD made the change now because she was afraid next year would be another "disappointing" year isn't seeing it. What scared the hell out of her was that it would be a success. Why do you think "sabotage" -- not my word but the word of someone who was on the inside -- was going on? And this is a program decent people are being asked to support? Forget it!

parkerj
03-26-2016, 01:43 PM
Dwayne Stephens is a surprise of a name to leave Michigan State. I'm would guess his pay is a bit higher at MSU.

His listed salary is smaller than Otzelberger's

...but bigger than Scott Nagy's (the guy I'd consider a home run hire)

Jimmy Lemke
03-27-2016, 12:56 PM
His listed salary is smaller than Otzelberger's

...but bigger than Scott Nagy's (the guy I'd consider a home run hire)

The candidates who would be at the top of the list under normal circumstances are not interested. I would think Nagy would be one of those.

Spirit of Bruce
03-27-2016, 01:20 PM
Please enlighten me on why a Scott Nagy would make what would be in the very best circumstances a lateral move? The Summit is currently a better conference..

parkerj
03-27-2016, 01:31 PM
Please enlighten me on why a Scott Nagy would make what would be in the very best circumstances a lateral move? The Summit is currently a better conference..

I thought of him when Otzelberger (275,000 base) was thought to be a frontrunner for the job. With that in mind, money. If we could afford to double his base salary, he'd have to at least think of it.

BBF
03-27-2016, 01:32 PM
The candidates who would be at the top of the list under normal circumstances are not interested. I would think Nagy would be one of those.

This is one of the hidden consequences of this action. If this had occurred in an orderly way after next year, there would be many more options. I don't think a lot of fans understand that the college coaching fraternity is close and that word gets around in a hurry.

jhart05
03-27-2016, 05:56 PM
And I'm sure anyone offered the job is going to give Jeter a call.

I don't believe he would deliberately try to sabotage the hire, because all he would have to do is be honest.

TheDarkHawkReturns
03-27-2016, 06:36 PM
This is a raging 5 alarm dumpster fire. A "regular" dumpster fire is what we saw at MU when Buzz was sent packing. That happens from time to time and is generally recoverable. The program remains attractive and the potential next hires are usually pretty strong.

This is so far beyond that it is laughable.

And a much as I would love to think the things said here, or on the Eunuch Board for that matter, have so much weight it can and does impact the potential candidates, it just doesn't. Sure they look at the boards, but like any outsider, the do so out of curiosity, I'm sure. I have a very hard time believing a YouTube video (< 300 views) and some posts here or anywhere amounts to much more than a fart in the wind on the whole.

Which makes the actions of the "head Eunuch" so laughable.

No....The 5 alarm dumpster fire is because you have a sitting state Senator, and former Gubernatorial candidate, demanding that the AD be fired immediately, players who are very publicly calling that same AD a liar and accusing her of outright sabotage of the program, and at least 1 major donor (so far) saying that he is done with the program until she is gone. Pile that all on top of the decision to terminate a coach after a 20 win season (while being undermined) that included a win over UW IN MADISON, which is not just a rare event in the history of UWM, but a rare feat in college basketball period.

What otherwise rational and reasonable person would look at this situation and say "Sign me up!"? Especially with other less troubling opportunities now, and certainly even more in the next year or two.

It should be no surprise that we are stooping pretty low (as coaching prospects go) right now, and there is no guarantee that these candidates are even really interested, but are instead using Braun to get a raise where they are, or to get there name out there for other jobs.

In fact, I bet that thought still has not occurred to Amanda and her cadre of suck ups...but it is probably happening. Hell, Crean turned that into a cottage industry at MU for years...don't think others didn't learn from him on that.

There remains only one thing that can possibly put this fire out, and that is the termination of Braun, and the naming of her replacement, before a coach is hired. Failing to do that means we are stuck with whoever she can get, and if she is later terminated, have to deal with another lame duck coaching staff for the next AD, and even more turmoil.

When I called for a purging fire, I meant that the program had to hit the reset button and start again FROM THE TOP DOWN. New AD, then a new Coach, and then immediate actions to repair relationships with donors, sponsors and alumni. I believe if this happens, we may see an era of Milwaukee Panther basketball success we have thus far only dreamed of.

Sorry for the length, guys....but this has been rolling around in my head for the last few days and I finally had a moment to sit down ad get it in writing.

MU/Panther
03-27-2016, 06:40 PM
And I'm sure anyone offered the job is going to give Jeter a call.

Can't say for sure, but I highly doubt that.

jhart05
03-27-2016, 11:01 PM
Can't say for sure, but I highly doubt that.

A normal situation, maybe not. This has been far from normal thou. I would if I were called about the job. I'd want to know what I was getting myself into.

MU/Panther
03-28-2016, 07:42 AM
A normal situation, maybe not. This has been far from normal thou. I would if I were called about the job. I'd want to know what I was getting myself into.
I never would call the person who got fired about a job I'm interviewing for.

TheDarkHawkReturns
03-28-2016, 07:55 AM
I honestly do not think it is necessary to call Jeter to get a sense of what went on under Braun. The players have made it pretty clear, and that is more than enough.

jhart05
03-28-2016, 08:35 AM
I never would call the person who got fired about a job I'm interviewing for.

Fine you're right.

Jimmy Lemke
03-28-2016, 09:31 AM
For his part, Jeter and the assistants are totally above board, telling everyone this is a good place to work. They just deflect any questions about Braun and talk about the people.

However, the rest of the Bo Ryan coaching tree? Drop an acorn of truth from the top and watch it whack every branch on the way down.

The coaching fraternity is very, very close. AD's need to understand they have to tread lightly.

Jimmy Lemke
03-28-2016, 09:42 AM
Also you gotta know that every single one of these candidates has talked to at least someone from the outgoing coaching staff.

MU/Panther
03-28-2016, 10:20 AM
Well sure, but you have to do what you think is best for yourself. Maybe, use what you hear for follow up questions, but not base my decision in what I hear.

Jimmy Lemke
03-28-2016, 11:32 AM
Well sure, but you have to do what you think is best for yourself.

Most definitely - but he didn't say that Jeter would make a decision, just that those interviewing would consult with him. If Jeter were trashing Amanda or the program, we wouldn't have the candidate list we have.

I hope that Donte Jackson and TJ Otzelberger are on the list; they weren't part of it when Goodman tweeted it out but I believe either would be a good hire. TJ is more of an impact recruiter than the assistants on the list, and Jackson is a head coach (and for one year a Panther) that took a good team and made them great very quickly.

It should be noted, although most people know this by now, that both coaches are Milwaukee guys. We should absolutely be considering a Milwaukee guy; it's not the end-all-be-all, but if they are great salesmen - and we know both of these guys are - the program could take a HUGE leap.

I believe that the next coach, if given the proper support from the university, could turn this place upside-down if they're the right guy. There is so much Milwaukee talent that plays elsewhere in Division I - high-major players, mid-major players, low-major players, these D-II guys at Stillman - and neither Madison nor Marquette is putting them all together.

Which is totally fine - Madison and Marquette are both recruiting nationally, because they want to get the best pool of players possible. It also means they wouldn't do this:

Do everything to bring the local talent to campus and keep them here. Every possible player from the City Conference, Greater Metro, Southeast Conference, North Shore...pitch them this: the State of Milwaukee.

This was touched on in the 30 for 30 "The U," where the players talked about how Howard Schnellenberger essentially built a wall of recruiting for the southern half of the state of Florida. Dubbed the "State of Miami," the Hurricanes essentially had the first right of refusal for any players in south Florida. It wasn't just Schnellenberger doing it, he had all the players talking up the idea to each other.

When Howard came into Miami, high school games would get more people than the university. There was a lot of talent in Miami and the surrounding area, and Schnellenberger successfully sold his first couple recruiting classes on the idea that the local talent, if assembled on one team, could achieve a high level - even national champions - just by going to college together.

I believe the same is true for Milwaukee. If a team were to recruit southeast Wisconsin and own the area players, they would be a very, very dangerous basketball team. This isn't just an idea for Milwaukee - the idea would work elsewhere as well. Marquette would be better positioned to do it, but as I've said they're looking nationally.

Every high school kid that qualifies, every JUCO kid from the city, every transfer who is from here - put them on a team and see just how high that team can go. My guess? Really damn high. Here are some of the area players and the schools they committed to, sorted by class:

Bryce Nze - Milwaukee
Juwan McCloud - Northern Iowa
Te'Jon Lucas - Illinois
Kostas Antetokounmpo - Uncommitted

Diamond Stone - Maryland
Raymond Doby - South Carolina
Garrison Goode - UC Davis
Ahmed Caver - Old Dominion
Levi Bradley - Northern Illinois
Jaylen Key - Northern Illinois
Paul Miller - NDSU

TJ Schlundt - Wisconsin
Kevon Looney - UCLA
Riley LaChance - Vanderbilt
Lamonte Bearden - Buffalo
Fred Iduwe - Georgia
Brady Ellingsen - Iowa
Jake Showalter - NDSU
Evan Wesenberg - NDSU
Reed Timmer - Drake

Duane Wilson - Marquette
Deonte Burton - Marquette
Luke Fischer - Indiana
Trevor Thomas - Virginia Tech
Jevon Thomas - Kansas State
Mario Matasovic - Western Michigan
Scotty Tyler - Idaho State

Sam Dekker - Wisconsin
JP Tokoto - North Carolina
Philip Nolan - UConn
Jerron Wilbut - Seton Hall
Zak Showalter - Wisconsin
Mike Lang - Central Michigan
Jacoby Davis - Mississippi State
Aaron Ross - Texas Tech
Carrington Love - Green Bay
Elgin Cook - Oregon
Darrell Bowie - Northern Illinois
Jordan Fouse - Green Bay
Cinmeon Bowers - Auburn

Marty Breunig - Washington
Paul Jesperson - Virginia
Mitchell Farr - Omaha
Jameel McKay - Marquette
Brandon Mobley - Seton Hall
John Kopriva - Vermont
Darrell Longstreet - Bradley

I didn't even put a lot of JUCO guys on that list. My point is, while we might not be able to ever put all of the players together, there's an incredible collection of talent that isn't collected. A Milwaukee guy - with the right message, at the right time, with the right support - could collect a lot of that local talent.

Spirit of Bruce
03-28-2016, 05:48 PM
McDadenets50 shilling for Showalter over on the Eunuch board. I like the quote that he used. "His old pal Rob Jeter." Considering all the time that was wasted on Germantown players by our former staff, due to Showalter driving them to other teams, I highly doubt Jeter considers Showalter a pal. I certainly wouldn't, but these are minor details...

parkerj
03-28-2016, 05:53 PM
McDadenets50 shilling for Showalter over on the Eunuch board.

I'm about 99.99999% sure that was tongue-in-cheek.

Spirit of Bruce
03-28-2016, 06:10 PM
I'm about 99.99999% sure that was tongue-in-cheek.

In that case, well played. :cool:

BBF
03-28-2016, 06:16 PM
I will be really ticked if Showalter gets consideration when Jerry Petitgoue and Tom Desotell are still on the market.

Jimmy Lemke
03-28-2016, 07:27 PM
mcdadenets50 was joking - he's a funny guy, that mcdadenets50. I'm disappointed he hasn't made the move yet.

MayorCK
03-29-2016, 12:08 AM
Dak, just because he has an interview, doesn't mean he has the job. No need to sweat yet...

uwm97
03-29-2016, 07:01 AM
Billeter is lined up for an interview? Very encouraging development if this is true.

TheDarkHawkReturns
03-29-2016, 08:07 AM
I am sure he is a fine man, but look at this coaching history and tell me if it reminds you of anyone:

<tbody>
Tom Billeter Year-by-Year

Overall

Conf.

Year

School

W
L

W
L

Finish

1992-93

North Dakota State

8th

1993-94

North Dakota State

2nd

1994-95

North Dakota State

t-1st

1995-96

North Dakota State

t-2nd

1996-97

North Dakota State

t-2nd

2003-04

Augustana

8th

2004-05

Augustana

7th

2005-06

Augustana

5th

2006-07

Augustana

5th

2007-08

Augustana

2nd

2008-09

Augustana

6th

2009-10

Augustana

3rd

2010-11

Augustana

3rd

2011-12

Augustana

t-4th

2012-13

Augustana

3rd

2013-14

Augustana

t-9th

2014-15

Augustana

t-1st

</tbody>

He had some very good seasons at NDSU. Then at Augustana he finished better than 3rd only twice, and many of those were 5th or worse. And I remind you that that was all in D2.

Didn't we just fire a guy who had some very good seasons long ago, and then was terminated for failing to be better than 3rd too often?

Again, this is NOT MEANT to be critical of Billeter, but critical of the seemingly hypocritical positions of Amanda Braun. Is there a lower set of standards for her for people she has "long standing professional relationships" with? - CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

TheDarkHawkReturns
03-29-2016, 08:07 AM
One other question comes to mind: After what looks like a stellar run at NDSU (D2 at the time), why did it take so long for him to get a look as a D1 head coach. He spent the years between Head Coach gigs bouncing around as a D1 assistant under some pretty good/great coaches, but never seemed to get a look as a D1 head coach.

Maybe I am being too critical, but that doesn't seem to fit the pattern of a guy that is an "up and comer". Usually these types of guys go from D1 assistant to Mid Major HC, not back down to D2 for more than a decade. What am I missing? (and I ask that question sincerely)

uwm97
03-29-2016, 09:25 AM
The guy went 34-2 and won a national championship this year after winning 31 games the year before. How is this similar to any resume Rob Jeter has?

Why did it take Bo Ryan so long to get a D1 offer after dominating at Platteville for so many years? Linc Darner spent a decade at Florida Southern before winning a championship and getting the opportunity at Green Bay. I'm sure they're happy with their decision.

LumsdenJ
03-29-2016, 10:05 AM
I think a lot of people are missing the big picture here.

There are only a few guys who make sense for this position. The most logical candidate, without question, is Pat Miller from Wisconsin-Whitewater.

What some fail to understand — this program, in it’s current state, is not appealing to outsiders. Not only that, financially, it’s not a fit for quality D1 assistants. If you’re a young, high major, D1 assistant, looking to move up the ladder, you’re not going to take this position. It's just not a situation someone wants to walk into.

So with that being said, the pool of candidates is very small.

The candidate needs to fit into these categories:

1.) Low Salary (200k range is my guess)

2.) Ties to Milwaukee and the state of Wisconsin — Especially Milwaukee Public Schools.
3.) Relationships and can bridge the gap between the african american population and the athletic department….which is clearly strained.
4.) Someone who currently knows some of the same boosters that fund UWM athletics.

If you look at that list — Miller is the only guy who makes any sense.

Why in the world would they bring in Tom Billester to recruit kids from the Dakotas? The city of Milwaukee has all the talent anyone needs. Not only that, Jeter and his staff were locked out of the city — they had a bad reputation in the city league. They have had one Milwaukee Public School kid on scholarship in the last six years. That relationship needs to be opened up again.

Miller recuits Milwuakee and has ties to the MPS and coaches. Just look at his previous rosters at UWW.

He deals with some of the same boosters and has had a ton of success within and around Milwaukee.

No only that, the Miller is young, energetic, feisty and and has a great track recored.

TheDarkHawkReturns
03-29-2016, 10:12 AM
97, I was not at all being negative about Billeter, per se...I was only asking some questions. I don't know very much about this guy, beyond the bio and selected press clippings. I was asking about him to find out of there was an issue in his past or something like that which sort of derailed his career path.

I guess I am a bit gun shy about reclamation projects after we trued that with Pearl. Sure, the on the court success was incredible, but the aftermath and impacts to the program off the court was much less fun to deal with.

If this guy is otherwise good, and he has just been overlooked, so be it. That is good news for certain.

As for the questions on his record, I was merely pointing out that if you look at his previous seasons, his numbers are pretty similar to Jeter's really. If Jeter had been given the level of support I am sure Billeter had, it isn't unreasonable to think that Milwaukee could have had some pretty stellar seasons in the last few years. Jeter did take them to the dance only 2 season ago. The intent here was to be critical of the seemingly fluid goals and expectations of the athletic department.

Jimmy Lemke
03-29-2016, 03:38 PM
I think a lot of people are missing the big picture here.

There are only a few guys who make sense for this position. The most logical candidate, without question, is Pat Miller from Wisconsin-Whitewater.

What some fail to understand — this program, in it’s current state, is not appealing to outsiders. Not only that, financially, it’s not a fit for quality D1 assistants. If you’re a young, high major, D1 assistant, looking to move up the ladder, you’re not going to take this position. It's just not a situation someone wants to walk into.

So with that being said, the pool of candidates is very small.

The candidate needs to fit into these categories:

1.) Low Salary (200k range is my guess)

2.) Ties to Milwaukee and the state of Wisconsin — Especially Milwaukee Public Schools.
3.) Relationships and can bridge the gap between the african american population and the athletic department….which is clearly strained.
4.) Someone who currently knows some of the same boosters that fund UWM athletics.

If you look at that list — Miller is the only guy who makes any sense.

Why in the world would they bring in Tom Billester to recruit kids from the Dakotas? The city of Milwaukee has all the talent anyone needs. Not only that, Jeter and his staff were locked out of the city — they had a bad reputation in the city league. They have had one Milwaukee Public School kid on scholarship in the last six years. That relationship needs to be opened up again.

Miller recuits Milwuakee and has ties to the MPS and coaches. Just look at his previous rosters at UWW.

He deals with some of the same boosters and has had a ton of success within and around Milwaukee.

No only that, the Miller is young, energetic, feisty and and has a great track recored.

Welcome to the U Board!

I don't think the upside of Billeter is that he would open up South Dakota recruiting. I think he would, however, open up Minnesota and Iowa recruiting, and there are plenty of players in both states who would be about that life.

CoachC
03-29-2016, 08:05 PM
Good point Jimmy with hiring a coach with local/state ties. But Milwaukee tried that before with Ric Cobb and it failed miserably. We need to find a experienced, former D1 Coach who is itching to get back in the game and prove himself. With the heat that is on Braun, she better open up the wallet and hit a home run or otherwise her days are numbered.

unclejohn
03-30-2016, 11:13 AM
I hate to say it, but he is right. Why would a guy who is successful at UND want to come to UWM? Yes, it is a better conference. Yes, it is a better market. But there is not a significant step up to go from the top of the Summit League to the middle of the HL. If he keeps winning at UND, he is going to get better offers soon. UWM right now does not strike me as an attractive job.

dylanrocks
03-30-2016, 12:02 PM
Come hear Uncle John's Band!

Actually, John, it is a step down.

Marquette does basketball; UWM does comedy. Dark comedy.

parkerj
03-30-2016, 12:03 PM
I hate to say it, but he is right. Why would a guy who is successful at UND want to come to UWM? Yes, it is a better conference. Yes, it is a better market. But there is not a significant step up to go from the top of the Summit League to the middle of the HL. If he keeps winning at UND, he is going to get better offers soon. UWM right now does not strike me as an attractive job.

Billeter? He's at Division II Augustana, not UND.

TheDarkHawkReturns
03-30-2016, 12:14 PM
Billeter, if he wants to move on, likely will have his pick of many offers, some from programs that are in a better position for him to be successful in immediately. There are many openings right now, and sadly, we aren't exactly at the top of that list of opportunities. I would love it if this were not true, but it is, and I really don't think there is much debate on that.

Players are ready to leave and publicly questioning the character and honesty of the AD, major donors are publicly severing ties with the program, and the fan base is in a full on civil war. Not what I would call the best of openings...even in the Horizon League.

parkerj
03-30-2016, 01:13 PM
Billeter, if he wants to move on, likely will have his pick of many offers, some from programs that are in a better position for him to be successful in immediately. There are many openings right now, and sadly, we aren't exactly at the top of that list of opportunities. I would love it if this were not true, but it is, and I really don't think there is much debate on that.

I don't think we'd be as far down as you believe (if we're even looking at him)...A guy with a track record of recruiting in Minnesota and Iowa is appealing to us. It's probably not as appealing to James Madison University in Virginia.

This may change as hires are made (particularly if my guy Nagy leaves SDSU), but right now I see at most 8 openings that you could argue are better than ours and I'm not sure Billeter makes sense at any of them except SF Austin (where an internal hire is pretty likely...not to mention they've got their own uncertainty issues to deal with)

TheDarkHawkReturns
03-30-2016, 01:26 PM
Here is the list per ESPN. Travis Ford has been reportedly hired at Saint Louis, but that is not reflected on the table on ESPN.com so I added it.

<tbody>
School
Out
In

Arkansas State
John Brady
Grant McCasland

Central Connecticut
Howie Dickenman

Drexel
Bruiser Flint

North Carolina A&T
Cy Alexander
Jay Joyner

Pacific
Ron Verlin
Damon Stoudamire

Prairie View A&M
Byron Rimm
Byron Smith

Santa Clara
Kerry Keating

UMBC
Aki Thomas

Wisconsin
Bo Ryan
Greg Gard

San Francisco
Rex Walters

Southern Utah
Nick Robinson
Todd Simon

UNLV
Dave Rice

Rutgers
Eddie Jordan
Steve Pikiell

Saint Louis
Jim Crews
Travis Ford*

Texas San Antonio
Brooks Thompson

Denver
Joe Scott
Rodney Billups

UCF
Donnie Jones

Cornell
Bill Courtney

James Madison
Matt Brady

Stanford
Johnny Dawkins

TCU
Trent Johnson
Jamie Dixon

Tulane
Ed Conroy

Portland
Eric Reveno

UT Rio Grande Valley
Dan Hipsher

Delaware
Monte Ross

Wright State
Billy Donlon

UW-Milwaukee
Rob Jeter

Pittsburgh
Jamie Dixon

Jacksonville State
James Green

Western Kentucky
Ray Harper

Oklahoma State
Travis Ford
Brad Underwood

Wyoming
Larry Shyatt
Allen Edwards

Dartmouth
Paul Cormier

Stony Brook
Steve Pikiell

Stephen F. Austin
Brad Underwood

</tbody>

Which 8 are we ahead of and which are we better than?

parkerj
03-30-2016, 01:37 PM
That list needs lots of updating. The 8 current openings you could make an argument for are:

Vandy
Georgia Tech
UAB
Little Rock
SF Austin
James Madison
Wright State
Portland

I wouldn't necessarily make some of those arguments.

TheDarkHawkReturns
03-30-2016, 01:47 PM
There are some pretty nice destinations in that list of 8. And 8 is a lot of programs ahead of you in the pecking order.

Wright State is probably marginally better than Milwaukee right now, and being in the same region and conference makes that marginal difference more impactful to us, IMO.

My point is that we are not right now a "choice" destination, at least I don't see how we could be. And do not take this to mean I LIKE that reality, but it is the reality.

What really makes me mad is that reality is almost entirely self-inflicted.

parkerj
03-30-2016, 02:05 PM
But specifically regarding Billeter, none of those jobs makes more sense.

Cross Vandy & GT off immediately. Their hire may open a job that winds up ahead of us on the list, but they're not hiring a D-II coach from South Dakota (and both are currently being linked to Duke assistant Jeff Capel)

UAB is likely to make an internal hire

Little Rock will have a lot of veteran talent returning from this year's team, but as a program this year was lightning in a bottle. They hadn't won more than 23 games since the 80s

SFA has been great lately and Billeter was an assistant at A&M, but their star is leaving and they're in the Southland. Slip up even a little and you're screwed.

JMU is a geographically poor fit for Billeter.

Portland is only on this list because they're looking to make a "splash" hire after Mark Few called out the entire conference. Terry Porter is the name that's popped up. Not likely to go for a D-II coach.

Wright State has been linked to a number of low-major D-I HCs despite having its own dysfunction. I'm jealous. They could possibly be the team to open the SDSU job, but aside from that I don't see them opening a job for anybody who would be a better fit for Billeter.

TheDarkHawkReturns
03-30-2016, 02:08 PM
Unless he is waiting to see if SDSU opens up, that is, in which case we have literally no chance to land him.

parkerj
03-30-2016, 02:19 PM
Maybe. There are obvious advantages for him at SDSU, but the job would have to open (Nagy's been HC there since he was 29...might be a lifer at this point) and I think we can offer more money.

Though this could all be moot, as we don't even know if Billeter is actually a candidate.

JGPanthers
03-30-2016, 02:24 PM
Unless he is waiting to see if SDSU opens up, that is, in which case we have literally no chance to land him.

Pure conjecture. Not sure why this is an argument, but there is nothing to base this opinion off of besides the location of SDSU.

TheDarkHawkReturns
03-30-2016, 02:33 PM
At this point, SDSU could be considered an potential elite mid major, having been to the dance 3 of the last 5 seasons, and twice winning their opening round game. As D1 programs go, this is not a bad one to be a part of presently, especially for a guy who can recruit to South Dakota. He would take the helm of a solid program in a familiar area that would make great use of his recruiting networks as well as his personality.

That said, as others have mentioned, there is nothing to indicate that he is even a candidate for Milwaukee, so this is an just entertaining discussion in theory right now.

parkerj
03-30-2016, 02:40 PM
At this point, SDSU could be considered an potential elite mid major, having been to the dance 3 of the last 5 seasons, and twice winning their opening round game.

Ehh? NDSU won one game in the tournament, but SDSU hasn't yet.

Wouldn't call them elite, either. Under normal circumstances, I think we could take their coach.

TheDarkHawkReturns
03-30-2016, 02:53 PM
Stupid stupid stupid...."Second Round" to the NCAA really means "First Round" to normal people. My mistake. Still think it is an attractive destination for a coach in D2 already in the neighborhood. Similar to us having advantages in recruiting a coach from one of the UW schools.

I think it's likely a moot point anyway. Sorry for the distraction.

MayorCK
03-30-2016, 03:02 PM
Billeter? He's at Division II Augustana, not UND.

I think he was referring to Nagy and SDSU.

parkerj
03-30-2016, 03:30 PM
"Second Round" to the NCAA really means "First Round" to normal people.

Ohhhh! Haha, no worries. Not your fault the NCAA wants us to pretend the First Four isn't a play-in into the tournament.

I think he was referring to Nagy and SDSU.

Yeah, I know he's kind of a pipe dream...particularly in our current situation. Hopefully we at least made the call.

Jimmy Lemke
03-30-2016, 03:36 PM
This guy, David Pate, is the chair of the Search and Screen Committee to hire the next basketball coach:

http://uwm.edu/socialwelfare/people/pate-jr-phd-david-j/

Anyone know him? He has quite the resume himself in a different field. His skill set and focus perfectly matches the university mission, so I'm glad to have him - I just have never met the man so I'm not sure if he's up to the task of running this S&SC.

TheDarkHawkReturns
03-30-2016, 03:53 PM
This guy, David Pate, is the chair of the Search and Screen Committee to hire the next basketball coach:

http://uwm.edu/socialwelfare/people/pate-jr-phd-david-j/

Anyone know him? He has quite the resume himself in a different field. His skill set and focus perfectly matches the university mission, so I'm glad to have him - I just have never met the man so I'm not sure if he's up to the task of running this S&SC.

His Twitter: http://twitter.com/DavidJPate (https://twitter.com/DavidJPate) Note the multiple retweets of the NCAA Tournament news. Looks like more than a casual fan. Very encouraging.

LumsdenJ
03-31-2016, 07:40 AM
Welcome to the U Board!

I don't think the upside of Billeter is that he would open up South Dakota recruiting. I think he would, however, open up Minnesota and Iowa recruiting, and there are plenty of players in both states who would be about that life.

And that's my point.

There is no need to recruit South Dakota, Minnesota and Iowa... UWM has all the talent they need in Milwaukee and Chicago. Jeter hasn't done anything in the Milwaukee Public Schools. Not only that, the Milwaukee Suburbs.....Sure, a Germantown or Grafton kid here or there, but nothing noteworthy.

UWM has had one scholarship player in the last six years from the Milwaukee Public Schools. The Panthers need to close the fence and clean up in their backyard.

Why would a kid from Minnesota want to come to Milwaukee when he can go to NDSU or SDSU?

Miller is the only guy, on the current list, we can recruit MPS and has multiple ties to MPS.

PS- Great board! Great discussion.

dylanrocks
03-31-2016, 07:45 AM
If only they could get many of those kids into school, Lumsden.

LumsdenJ
03-31-2016, 08:01 AM
If only they could get many of those kids into school, Lumsden.

Go back -- last five years -- pull a list of players from MPS and Suburbs. A lot guys playing mid-major ball, that qualified or transferred, that aren't at UWM.

TheDarkHawkReturns
03-31-2016, 08:10 AM
I am not terribly concerned about where our players are coming from. I am concerned that we are getting the best players we can. Jeter had his hits and his misses. I would prefer more hits the next time around.

In order to do that, we need them to know they will not share the equivalent of a high school field house with intramural sports and clubs, along with perhaps not taking every road trip possible on a bus. Right now this is a tougher place to sell than it needs to be.

Having current players tell the world they do not trust the AD only makes that whole thing worse.

All of these issues are within our power to correct....the question is will we or will the next coach have to deal with these handicaps as well?

dylanrocks
03-31-2016, 08:16 AM
Is it possible that they were admitted into other schools, but couldn't get into UWM?

Or to put it another way: is it possible that exceptions weren't made like they were at places like Buffalo or NIU?

BBF
03-31-2016, 12:38 PM
Rob and his staff had no problem recruiting City players. But there are only a few MPS players a year who are D1 quality, and the further sad truth is that many of them have great difficulty qualifying. I know specifically of high profile MPS guys that we simply couldn't look at -- but who were admitted elsewhere. I will also say that I personally believe that inasmuch as one of the core missions of our University is to be an access institution, our sports teams should not be held to an artificially high standard in that respect.

But if a new coach is able to recruit more kids from the City, I can pretty much guarantee that means that new coach will be getting an accommodation that Rob was not allowed.

parkerj
03-31-2016, 04:16 PM
JMU is a geographically poor fit for Billeter.

...and just hired one of Bowling Green's assistants to run its program...
(https://twitter.com/JMUSports/status/715644990106517505)
I know he's a JMU alum and all, but...what? Suddenly I like Goodman's list a little more (though I would've preferred letting it play out with RJ)

mrcubsfan
03-31-2016, 05:13 PM
If someone can recruit another Matt Tiby out of Iowa I'm all in.

BBF
03-31-2016, 06:16 PM
Me too. I know a great candidate who can do that. Top assistant and a terrific recruiter at a winning program who has deep contacts throughout the midwest and especially in Iowa and Illinois. His name is Cha... oh, wait.

Buppie05
04-02-2016, 02:10 PM
I hate to be "this guy" who refuses to let go of the past, but what if Bruce Pearl wanted his old job back? Auburn is DEFINITELY a harder place to win than Milwaukee. How much is he getting paid? Probably not too much more than we could offer him. And his job security? Even with Amanda Brain at the helm, I would think this place is more secure than the revolving door at Auburn. Being at the back end of a football school/conference can't be his dream job.

BBF
04-02-2016, 02:22 PM
There is zero chance we could compete with Auburn financially and zero chance we would be interested even if we could. Even as messed up as our program is, I would bet my house on that.

parkerj
04-02-2016, 04:34 PM
How much is he getting paid? Probably not too much more than we could offer him.

2.2 million/year, so ~10x what we're likely to be paying our next coach. His buyout alone is 1.1 million.

Jimmy Lemke
04-02-2016, 04:40 PM
Lavall Jordan and Tracy Webster have interviewed today, I've heard from multiple sources.

I really don't like the idea of a Bulldog or a Badger running our program, but Jordan and Webster are dynamite recruiters. As much of a recruiter as Jeter was touted, he never brought the #1 recruiting class to Wisconsin like Webster just did at Cal.

Jimmy Lemke
04-02-2016, 04:49 PM
Kaylon Williams went to bat for Lavall Jordan on Twitter

BBF
04-02-2016, 06:23 PM
There's no way anyone could make the argument that either Tracy or Lavall are fundamentally different candidates than Rob was at the time he was hired. The only difference is that Rob now has years of head coaching experience and had taken teams to the tournament. Hey, weren't those some of her criteria for a new coach?

Basically we are seeng that this whole sordid affair had utterly no purpose other than that she wanted Rob gone.

Trainwreck.

MU/Panther
04-02-2016, 07:46 PM
I'm very excited in hearing both of those names being brought up!

parkerj
04-02-2016, 09:12 PM
There's no way anyone could make the argument that either Tracy or Lavall are fundamentally different candidates than Rob was at the time he was hired...

Basically we are seeng that this whole sordid affair had utterly no purpose other than that she wanted Rob gone.

Yup.

dylanrocks
04-03-2016, 07:49 AM
There's no way anyone could make the argument that either Tracy or Lavall are fundamentally different candidates than Rob was at the time he was hired. The only difference is that Rob now has years of head coaching experience and had taken teams to the tournament. Hey, weren't those some of her criteria for a new coach?

Trainwreck.

On that I think we can all agree.

JGPanthers
04-03-2016, 09:46 AM
Perhaps it isn't the background and job history that makes the coach?

Just because Lavall Jordan is an assistant for a BIG program, that doesn't mean the end result will be another Rob Jeter tenure. Every candidate brings a different personality, coaching style, and background to the table. I understand what you're trying to say BBF, but I don't think the reason for Rob's ouster is really in question at this point, is it?

BBF
04-03-2016, 11:55 AM
"I don't think the reason for Rob's ouster is really in question at this point, is it?"

No, it certainly is not. We may disagree about what it was, however.

Would love to see the whole list of applicants. The names that have leaked (and some others that I know of that have not yet leaked) are "B-listers" at best. Most are "C-list" if that. The applicant list so far is most notable for who is NOT on it. This is just what many of us feared would happen if Rob was dismissed impetuously before his contract termed. I have not heard a single name yet that anyone could honestly argue is a better coach than Rob. Some might be nice guys, or have tenuous connections to our area, but there's not a name in the bunch that would make anyone say "Wow." And don't hold your breath waiting for it.

Meanwhile the press and the public rightfully continue to skewer our AD and by extension, our program. And that sure is what a program like ours needs more of, isn't it?

uwm97
04-03-2016, 01:22 PM
Goodman is tweeting that Webster is looking like the guy. Outside of the fact that he's been an assistant at like 15 different universities and can recruit at Cal, what does anyone know about him? I'd have preferred Miller, Billeter or Jackson, but It looks like another assistant will be running this program.

BBF
04-03-2016, 01:59 PM
Tracy was a hell of a good college point guard. Except for his very short and unsuccessful (1-15) interim tenure at a terrible DePaul program (that had just fired Jerry Wainwright) he's a complete blank slate as a head coach.

What did you expect?

uwm97
04-03-2016, 02:12 PM
Tracy was a hell of a good college point guard. Except for his very short and unsuccessful (1-15) interim tenure at a terrible DePaul program (that had just fired Jerry Wainwright) he's a complete blank slate as a head coach.

What did you expect?

Who did I expect? No idea - no one does.
Who did I want? Who I said in my last post.

MU/Panther
04-03-2016, 02:17 PM
If true, I'm excited for Tracy Webster to be the next head coach of the Panthers.

MayorCK
04-03-2016, 02:24 PM
The last thing we need is a freakin' Badger as head coach. This university seriously can't get out of its own way.

dylanrocks
04-03-2016, 02:27 PM
Goodman is tweeting that Webster is looking like the guy. Outside of the fact that he's been an assistant at like 15 different universities and can recruit at Cal, what does anyone know about him? I'd have preferred Miller, Billeter or Jackson, but It looks like another assistant will be running this program.

In addition to everything else I believe and fear about this situation, this is EXACTLY right.

If you were going to pull the pin now, why wouldn't you hire someone with a proven track record as a head coach, as the A.D. stated in her press release announcing Rob's termination?

In fact, I have plenty of good friends who have long pushed for this move who won't be happy with the hire.

This just doesn't pass the look or smell test.

uwm97
04-03-2016, 02:41 PM
It doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. It'd be perhaps different if the guy was with a specific coach for five or 10 years - Webster's bounced around about as much as as a guy could his age. That makes me skeptical. And again, what's his coaching style? CAN he coach? It's mind-boggling.

dylanrocks
04-03-2016, 02:45 PM
If you were going to do this, Billeter or Miller was the logical move.

MU/Panther
04-03-2016, 02:59 PM
They weren't bringing in a white guy as the next coach.

uwm97
04-03-2016, 03:18 PM
I'f race played any part in either including or excluding the coaching decision, everyone involved should be immediately fired, from the chancellor on down.

MU/Panther
04-03-2016, 03:26 PM
In the political correct world that some want to move in, race is a factor. Not that I said the I'm going to on wash my mouth out with soap.

BBF
04-03-2016, 04:59 PM
Personally I hope we do hire an AA coach. There are plenty who are highly qualified. The only question is whether we will hire the right guy. Since we are clearly looking at a B-list of applicants that will be a crapshoot.

Fire, aim, ready. It's the Milwaukee way.

parkerj
04-03-2016, 06:28 PM
*sigh* (https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/716768911543238656)

dylanrocks
04-03-2016, 08:44 PM

"I thought you said you was bringin' a white boy home! I don't see a white boy! I see a damn fool!"

Jimmy Lemke
04-03-2016, 10:23 PM
Scott Nagy, at no point, was a candidate for Milwaukee. That should tell you everything you need to know about the coaching search.

Tracy Webster is fine. Lavall Jordan is fine. Billeter is fine. This is a good list. There are just going to be question marks with all the candidates because the pool of potential coached isn't the level that it could have been. Why? I think everyone knows that by now.

Instead of a coach who is a proven winner over a sustained period of time at a lower level (low-major or lower division), you have question marks.

That's fine - I think these guys are all good coaches. But if the point was to hire someone who would be obviously better than Rob Jeter, this pool doesn't fit the bill. Scott Nagy would have been there.

I also wonder who would work for the lower salary? I know some of these high-major assistants are making more than they would as head coach here.

All in all, I will likely be happy with the hire. I just don't expect the fans of this program to be happy; you fire Rob Jeter because you've got an ace up your sleeve. You don't fire Rob Jeter to bring in someone with question marks.

It's fairly obvious that the handling of the Rob Jeter firing adversely affected this search; apart from salary (we don't know what the new coaches will make), the Wright State job has a practice facility and a bigger in-arena fan base. Milwaukee has the potential roster - potential because all of these kids are giving the next coach a chance - to be much better than Wright State, which is going through an off season roster turnover like ours from spring 2006. They have a lot of their talent graduating.

This is the result. Untested assistant coaches or former/current head coaches with marginal or fleeting success.

MayorCK
04-03-2016, 11:26 PM
If it really is Webster, I can't honestly be more disappointed or less surprised.

The people that run this university can't help themselves when it comes to sucking Madison's hind tit.

BBF
04-03-2016, 11:49 PM
Webster has had no association with the UW for over 20 years. There are a lot of problems with this coaching change, but that would be absolutely the least of them.

TheDarkHawkReturns
04-03-2016, 11:57 PM
If it is Webster, and the roster stays as is, if he does not have 20 wins and at least reach the Horizon League Tournament Semifinal, is the season a disapointment? The bar was set in the firing....doesn't he need to reach that level at a minimum?

And I really do not want to hear about "not his team" or other excuses.

When you fire someone, you do so because the next guy up is better, and he should produce immediately. You do not fire someone to hire the same, or worse.

Thoughts?

Jimmy Lemke
04-04-2016, 12:30 AM
If it is Webster, and the roster stays as is, if he does not have 20 wins and at least reach the Horizon League Tournament Semifinal, is the season a disapointment? The bar was set in the firing....doesn't he need to reach that level at a minimum?

And I really do not want to hear about "not his team" or other excuses.

When you fire someone, you do so because the next guy up is better, and he should produce immediately. You do not fire someone to hire the same, or worse.

Thoughts?

I think that would be unfair to Webster (or whoever the next coach is). But you'll see who in our community is full of **** - because they'll be heaping all the accolades on the successor if he wins, saying 'not his fault' if he loses.

Remember, this is Amanda Braun's guy now. Her job is tied to his. So she's going to pull out all the stops to prove that she was right to fire Jeter and hire the new coach. I mean if she doesn't, it's going to be real easy to see she's the problem.

Jimmy Lemke
04-04-2016, 01:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tzlay2vyNc

FrankTheTank
04-04-2016, 10:11 AM
If it is Webster - I don't think disappointment is the word I'd use to describe the hire....it would be frustration. Seems like the exact same thing we did with Jeter and the end of his tenure was as ugly as it could be. Like others have state, this is totally on Braun and for her to do a RJ 2.0 is actually infuriating and makes zero sense.

Any of the other names floating around would make more sense...this hire would just seem odd...and smells of something fishy...

BBF
04-04-2016, 10:22 AM
If Tracy is hired I doubt there's anything fishy about it at all. I think it just shows what the candidate pool was like. Amazingly, a program facing a firestorm of criticism in a state system choking down budget cuts with angry donors fleeing and an AD who just fired a highly respected guy in the coaching community -- in a one-bid league -- is not exactly considered a plum opportunity! Who knew?

I emphasized the one-bid issue because putting aside the horrendous mess the AD made of Rob Jeter's firing, that factor looms very large right now. Any coaching candidate out there probably watched Valpo in the NIT and OU in the Vegas and asked himself "why aren't these teams in the NCAA tournament?" Good question with a simple answer: it's because we are in a league that has descended to the point of near irrelevance. While our commissioner cuts pizza deals to bury the conference tournament in an empty wreck of an arena in the region's least attractive city, the member schools have received no help whatsoever in tackling the issue that is really holding us back: scheduling!

FrankTheTank
04-04-2016, 10:30 AM
I agree with you. Which is why I think the other names that have been floating around (Billeter and Miller in particular) make much more sense because of the issues you raised. Wouldn't a coach from D2(3) that is itching for a D1 job be more willing and enthused to take a job such as ours? and wouldn't our AD be inclined to seek a coach such as that? One that would bring an energy and passion to the program because it's a chance to prove themselves at the highest level - albeit in the HL? I don't know...just seems like Webster doesn't fit the type of coach I was expecting the AD to search for. I may be wrong about that but again, with our current AD in place; we're in for a bunch of surprises! :confused:

BBF
04-04-2016, 10:40 AM
Don't assume that the coaches you mentioned would actually take the job if offered.

TheDarkHawkReturns
04-04-2016, 10:51 AM
Billeter will get his shot in D1....either this off-season or the next. He knows that. I bet he is on the short list at SDSU as we speak. He would feel no rush to jump at Milwaukee just BECAUSE it's D1...there is much going on that would make the D1 part sort of irrelevant. If he doesn't get SDSU, another school with less....um....baggage is sure to come calling.

The pool we dealt with was apparently quite limited....some of the imitations appeared to be by choice which irritates me to no end, but the vast majority of that limitation was due to the aforementioned "baggage" (read: dumpster fire).

This is what happens when you fire a respected coach simply because you - don't like him/didn't hire him/need to prove you have "big boy pants" on - without making a legitimate case to the right people BEFORE you do it. Those people get really pissed, and you end up having to pick from less than the best because you made a mess.

Jimmy Lemke
04-04-2016, 12:28 PM
Pat Miller was not a candidate for our open position. Ask Amanda.

Jimmy Lemke
04-04-2016, 12:29 PM
If you're Tom Billeter, why would you choose Milwaukee over SDSU? Money, maybe - we know the next coach will make considerably less than Rob Jeter.

Skrapheap
04-04-2016, 12:45 PM

Meaning that he didn't apply, or didn't show up on the consultant's radar?

Jimmy Lemke
04-04-2016, 12:50 PM
Meaning that he didn't apply, or didn't show up on the consultant's radar?

No and No.

Pat Miller applied AND showed up on the consultant's radar.

dylanrocks
04-04-2016, 01:01 PM
No and No.

Pat Miller applied AND showed up on the consultant's radar.

Well, then this is all just one big Bungle in the Jungle.

-- signed Ian Anderson

FrankTheTank
04-04-2016, 01:12 PM

Jimmy, any other updates on the names that have been floating around? I dont want to get a case of that awful foot in mouth disease...

MayorCK
04-04-2016, 02:30 PM
Webster has had no association with the UW for over 20 years. There are a lot of problems with this coaching change, but that would be absolutely the least of them.

I always respect what you have to say BBF, but all you have to do is peruse Webster's rather limited Twitter account to see that his Badger ties are definitely there. You have also always been up front with your split loyalties, so I wouldn't expect for our concerns to be the same on the subject.

BBF
04-04-2016, 02:49 PM
I don't twit so would never see something like that. But really, what difference does it make? The only times Tracy Webster has been on the Madison campus the last 20 years have probably been as an opposing coach. With the exception of Howard Moore, he has no direct connection to anyone who has coached there since before Dick Bennett was hired. I get that some people don't want another coach out of the "Bo tree" (because that guy didn't know how to coach, I guess?) but Webster obviously is not. If anything he's out of the Gene Keady tree -- Bruce Weber, Matt Painter and Cuonzo Martin. I have no idea how good a coach Tracy will be if hired but I have tremendous respect for Keady and his disciples. They play tough, hard nosed, defensive basketball, but with a dash more playground flair and willingness to attack than you see in the Bennett and Bo styles. Which, by the way, is an almost exact description of how Rob Jeter coached, but let's not go there.

MayorCK
04-04-2016, 04:53 PM
I'm with the people who don't want anyone from the Bo tree, but I obviously take it a step further. I would rather not have anyone with any ties to Madison, period. Plainly, I don't see how it can have a positive effect on the program.

We've already seen what having a dyed- in-the-wool Marquette Warrior (Ric Cobb, for those not aware) as head coach did to this program.

Jimmy Lemke
04-04-2016, 05:03 PM
I'm with the people who don't want anyone from the Bo tree, but I obviously take it a step further. I would rather not have anyone with any ties to Madison, period. Plainly, I don't see how it can have a positive effect on the program.

We've already seen what having a dyed- in-the-wool Marquette Warrior (Ric Cobb, for those not aware) as head coach did to this program.

Ric Cobb had 7 years as an AAU coach and one as Antrim's assistant before he took over as head coach. Comparing him to an assistant who has been at Kentucky, Illinois, Purdue, Ball State, DePaul, Nebraska, Tennessee and Cal is just being unfair. He just pulled in a top 5 national recruiting class for 2015. That's incredible at Cal.

TheDarkHawkReturns
04-04-2016, 05:16 PM
One question remains....if he is so good, why so many stops along the way? Something strange about that...either he has some issues and has to move on, or worse yet, he is yet another job hopper who will be out of here at the first opportunity. Neither is good.

BBF
04-04-2016, 05:41 PM
'hawk, don't kid yourself, no matter who we hire the chances are good that he'll leave in three or four years, either because he can, or because he's fired. That's the new normal. Short attention span theater.

The one lesson that I think everyone will take from our recent history is that we aren't going to handcuff ourselves with a big contract again. But there's a flip side to going with lowball contracts: it puts a mid-major program like ours in a terrible position to retain a coach we don't want to lose.

MU/Panther
04-04-2016, 05:42 PM
Well, Tennessee and Cal was with Cuonzo Martin.

CoachC
04-04-2016, 05:52 PM
I like Webster. Met him a few times, and seems like a great guy. And he was on campus within the last 20 years. But for the life of me, I have no idea why he would want to commit career suicide and step into this mess at Milwaukee. You guys might have reservations about him but he can definitely do better.

Buppie05
04-04-2016, 06:55 PM
Most successful coaches will leave for greener pastures at 98% of programs. What we want is someone who is willing to stick around until one of the big boys come calling, and I'm not sure that is Webster (just based on his track record) . It's not a murderers row of candidates, but I can't blame a guy like Scott Nagy for not being interested, even in the best of situations, in Milwaukee. Why leave unless its for 4x the salary and a much bigger program? Build your program until the biggest of the big come calling. Guys like Frank Lickliter committed career suicide by leaving too early for a marginally bigger paycheck and bigger program (IMO), so build a winner until you get the call.

I wish we had someone with Milwaukee ties who was willing to grow with us. Maybe if Mark Pancratz didn't get out of coaching? But that candidate isn't out there, so hopefully we find someone determined to build a winner and move on when the time is right.

dylanrocks
04-04-2016, 07:03 PM
What track record? Well, I guess he is 1-15.

Buppie05
04-04-2016, 07:16 PM
What track record? Well, I guess he is 1-15.

He does have that Marquette win to silence the haters with.

TheDarkHawkReturns
04-04-2016, 07:42 PM
I guess until the University decides to take basketball seriously, this is what we will experience.

What will forever baffle me is how University Administrators can be so ignorant about the impact of athletics on their school. Either they are all egg heads who cannot fathom that sports is more popular in the general public than, say, a great debate team, or they do know but still don't care because prioritizing athletics in any way will make them persona non grata at the cocktail parties populated buy the Ivory Tower Elites.

Nothing publicizes a school more than winning in sports. Would Duke be a household name without basketball? An even better and more relevant example is Gonzaga.

Yet we still get stuck with Chancellors (with the lone exception of Zimpher, oh how I miss her) who think that the public at large has great interest in things like new academic programs and such, and look down their noses at athletics.

Sometimes I wish I would have gone to a school that took sports seriously so I wouldn't live with the constant frustration of a program doomed to mediocrity.

MayorCK
04-04-2016, 08:15 PM
You know what is fair game? Why has he had so many different jobs? That's an incredibly unstable resume you just rattled off. 8 schools? Maybe that's not many if you're 60, but the guy is 44. I realize he went to Cal from Tennessee with Cuonzo, but what about all the other hopping around? It should be a red flag to anyone who has ever had to hire someone.

Addendum: I did not see Hawk's post at the top of this page when I posted this. He essentially said the same thing.

Jimmy Lemke
04-05-2016, 08:11 AM
Addendum: I did not see Hawk's post at the top of this page when I posted this. He essentially said the same thing.

These are minor details.

LumsdenJ
04-05-2016, 09:02 AM
Sorry if I missed it in this thread.

I'm told TJ Otzelberger is back in the mix and is interviewing Wednesday.

TheDarkHawkReturns
04-05-2016, 09:13 AM
They better show up with a checkbook. Wright St. spent quite a bit on a coach...more than Jeter was making. If you want to be "top 3" you have to pay for it. Too bad our AD has alienated so many people who could help with this situation.

BBF
04-05-2016, 09:24 AM
If we end up signing a coach at anything close to what Rob was paid this whole thing will be exposed as a pathetic fraud. Or maybe I should say, further exposed.

TheDarkHawkReturns
04-05-2016, 09:45 AM
People seem to be under the impression that RJ was vastly overpaid...truth is, he really wasn't. The market price for a Head Coach in D1 is higher than many want to believe, and his salary was not out of line with many of his peers. Every time a major program like Auburn (a perennial cellar dweller in the SEC, and second fiddle to football) gives a coach who was still on an NCAA Show Cause a 6-year contract worth $2.2 million per year with a $100,000 annual escalator, it raises the prices for coaches at levels below that as well.

Mid majors like Milwaukee and Wright St. need to accept that the going rate for a Head Coach is no longer anywhere near the $200 k range we one thought was a lot. Wright St. reportedly dropping a cool half million a year for multiple years (probably with some escalators and performance bonuses) makes Jeter's contract not nearly that expensive. You can make the argument that Nagy is better than Jeter, and that is certainly a case to make, but Jeter was being paid less, so even still, that contract was not out of line.

I expect AB to try to go on the cheap...really cheap...mostly because now she has to since the well isn't just dry, it is also poisoned and boarded over.

Add the financial issues to the rest of this dumpster fire and you are left with a probably very unpleasant "coaching search" filled with a lot of "no thanks, I'll pass" responses.

BBF
04-05-2016, 09:51 AM
Don't really disagree with you, hawk. I'm suggesting that if we end up paying that amount again, it underscores that what many of us were told this was about -- well, maybe not.

And yes, I am quite sure that there are candidates who are peeking under the covers and saying "pass."

dylanrocks
04-05-2016, 09:56 AM
Because this hiring process was put on such a fast track, now I understand why the team was denied a chance at the postseason.

TheDarkHawkReturns
04-05-2016, 10:16 AM
Because this hiring process was put on such a fast track, now I understand why the team was denied a chance at the postseason.

Yeah....that's it. That's the ticket. It's on the fast track. I heard it from my wife...Morgan Fairchild.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyp9fh-u4w8

TheDarkHawkReturns
04-05-2016, 10:23 AM
How I imagine the phone calls from the Milwaukee AD Office to coaching candidates pretty much goes. (Slightly NSFW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0PUrNwvvBk

Jimmy Lemke
04-05-2016, 11:10 AM
Word on the street is TJ has an interview tomorrow.

Skrapheap
04-05-2016, 12:10 PM
Word on the street is TJ has an interview tomorrow.

That would fly well with some people, judging by reactions here and on the eunuch board, but it would also probably disappoint some very vocal people in the community.

uwm97
04-05-2016, 12:36 PM
Otzelberger has been hanging out for two weeks, and they're finally bringing him in for an interview? How the hell is this considered "moving fast?!"

If Tracy Webster priced him out of a job here, that's fine by me. However, I highly doubt Otzelberger would require $500K/year like Nagy did as he's never been a head coach.

JGPanthers
04-05-2016, 12:53 PM
What I would say to that vocal minority is this: If you advocate for hiring someone based on their skin color, I have no use for you. Sorry to be so blunt, but there's really no other way to say it.

BBF
04-05-2016, 01:15 PM
if we hire TJO will you have no use for him if he decides to hire some assistants "based on" their skin color? Because I 100% guarantee you that he will make sure to have at least one black assistant.

Reducing complex decision analysis to one factor is little more than a straw man argument.

dylanrocks
04-05-2016, 01:59 PM
Otzelberger has been hanging out for two weeks, and they're finally bringing him in for an interview? How the hell is this considered "moving fast?!"

"There's a long drive ... It's gonna be, I believe!

"The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant!"

JGPanthers
04-05-2016, 03:08 PM
if we hire TJO will you have no use for him if he decides to hire some assistants "based on" their skin color? Because I 100% guarantee you that he will make sure to have at least one black assistant.

Reducing complex decision analysis to one factor is little more than a straw man argument.

The point I'm trying to make, Fran, is I'm not interested in bypassing a better, more qualified candidate because of social or political reasons. I have no problem with and would advocate giving a fair opportunity to candidates of any race, but I would never choose to hire an employee for that reason. Some in the community, including on this board (and perhaps yourself?), are suggesting just that.

BBF
04-05-2016, 03:57 PM
My point is simply that in any complex decision there is always a matrix of factors. I believe that race is one appropriate factor. That is not the same as saying that it is the only factor or the deciding factor. But it's okay if it's the tipping point factor -- because any appropriate factor can be.

I have stated my preference for an AA head coach, and my reason for that preference. But that presumes that coach is otherwise qualified.

And let's be honest -- "qualified" is a relative term here. The way this process is going it would take a lunatic to pretend that ANY particular candidate presented to us is clearly the "one guy" who will take us to the promised land. We'll be lucky if we're not just taking the first guy willing to say he'll actually take the job. So if we hire Joe Black instead of Larry White I will have little patience for anybody arguing that we blew it because of some unjustified racial preference. That will be the least of it.

JGPanthers
04-05-2016, 04:15 PM
And let's be honest -- "qualified" is a relative term here. The way this process is going it would take a lunatic to pretend that ANY particular candidate presented to us is clearly the "one guy" who will take us to the promised land.

THIS we can agree on. To be clear, I would never look back and say we should've hired Larry White because of his skin tone. There would be no way to ever prove something like that, if I even was so racist as to say or think it.

With that said, I have advocated for Otz in any discussion regarding an opening in Milwaukee. In my expert opinion, he's the best fit for the job.

BBF
04-05-2016, 04:25 PM
JG, trust me, I'm not calling anyone "racist." I just think we are all susceptible to not seeing the deep nuance in this issue because people at the far ends of the spectrum apply a reductionist analysis and try to push everyone with absolute positions. It isn't all black or white, if you'll excuse the pun.

BBF
04-05-2016, 04:27 PM
And as for Otz (or, to be fair, any candidate from certain programs), if we write into the contract that he would take quarterly independently administered polygraphs as to his recruiting practices I'm sure I could get comfortable with him.

Call it the Bruce rule.

uwm97
04-05-2016, 05:35 PM
If TJ is picking up all this steam I'm reading about, is there a reason he wan't give an interview until now? It makes zero sense to me.

uwm97
04-05-2016, 05:49 PM
And as for Otz (or, to be fair, any candidate from certain programs), if we write into the contract that he would take quarterly independently administered polygraphs as to his recruiting practices I'm sure I could get comfortable with him.

Call it the Bruce rule.

If he gets WI guys like Matt Thomas and Jameel McKay to come here, I don't care what they write into his contract.

Jimmy Lemke
04-05-2016, 06:00 PM
That would fly well with some people, judging by reactions here and on the eunuch board, but it would also probably disappoint some very vocal people in the community.

I've spoken with Lena Taylor about TJ. I don't think she'd knock TJ nearly as much as she was planning to.

Reason being: he takes care of his players - I mean that as in he looks out for his kids. He makes sure they go to class, etc, and if they have problems he can help out.

parkerj
04-05-2016, 06:13 PM
If he gets WI guys like Matt Thomas and Jameel McKay to come here, I don't care what they write into his contract.

He was at Washington when McKay (and Burton) transferred to ISU. I don't imagine he'll be landing 4* recruits without the Big 12

TheDarkHawkReturns
04-05-2016, 06:21 PM
It makes me very unhappy that here we are, in the midst of a giant mess, and we need to now start injecting racial politics into this? Seriously? Don't we have enough lines between us as alumni and fans?

I think the whole line of reasoning is seriously flawed to begin with because it is highly bigoted (IMO) to assume that a black coach will recruit black kids better, care for them more, and be a better fit at Milwaukee.

It's like some of us have not considered the fact that a black coach could be a giant a**hole the players hate or a white coach could be a guy that loves them, and who they love, and is essentially a second father to them.

Last time I checked, the white guys on the team were JUST as pissed off at Jeter's firing, loved him like a father, and would walk 10 miles barefoot over broken glass for the man....and it had NOTHING to do with what he looked like.

Idiocy. Pure idiocy.

Now can we please talk about basketball and not social engineering and racial politics?

BBF
04-05-2016, 07:08 PM
Relax, hawk. You are attributing positions no one has expressed and that barely enter into the equation if at all. For example, it literally never entered my mind that there could be a recruiting effect one way or the other from the race of our coach. Bluntly, I couldn't care less about that. I simply stated my preference and the reason for it, and I stand by it. It has nothing to do with the competitive position of our program. "Injecting racial politics" sounds like the scare words we have been hearing too much from the politicians. My only concern is the future -- which must take into account both the past and the present.

BBF
04-05-2016, 07:11 PM

Well this much is certainly true: under Rob Jeter we never would have been able to get those guys to come here. I will say no more.

Jimmy Lemke
04-05-2016, 08:56 PM
Well this much is certainly true: under Rob Jeter we never would have been able to get those guys to come here. I will say no more.

You don't need to - the next coach will get all the help that Rob Jeter didn't get, because Braun's job will be tied to theirs. That's all the B.S. anyone needs to know.

BBF
04-05-2016, 09:33 PM
That's not a comforting thought to those of us who value integrity over wins and losses.

FrankTheTank
04-06-2016, 09:09 AM
You don't need to - the next coach will get all the help that Rob Jeter didn't get, because Braun's job will be tied to theirs. That's all the B.S. anyone needs to know.

Exactly. Not saying the next coach's wins/success needs to be taken with a grain of salt (don't get me wrong, a winning program is the goal for everyone on this board) but there is something to be said for having the support and structure in place to make a head coach successful versus what RJ and his staff had DURING HIS ENTIRE TENURE with the program. It would've behooved the AD and her staff to show the kind of support we are anticipating with this hire the second she arrived on campus. Unfortunately it wasn't. Hopefully that changes with the next coach, whomever that my be.

MU/Panther
04-06-2016, 09:17 AM
Same story with tons of schools in college football & basketball.

TheDarkHawkReturns
04-06-2016, 09:25 AM
It will be interesting to say the least. AB is now under a microscope, or at least should be. Some very hard questions are being asked around her overall performance, not just the Jeter situation.

Credit Lena Taylor (with whom I rarely agree, but sports knows no political affiliations) for pushing the issues of accountability and performance with Mone, per her interview with Bill Michaels. (link: http://media.billmichaelssports.com/a/114492719/04-05-16-interview-lena-taylor.htm? ) She has broadened her criticisms from the original diversity issue to the larger issue of the performance and oversight of AB, her behavior in general, and her performance in a position of authority and responsibility.

Mone needs to be put into a box on this. Pressure needs to be applied on him, not just AB. Hard question need to be asked. It is long past time that the AD report directly to the Chancellor, and be accountable to him/her for results. If she has not/does not produce, she needs to be replaced with someone who can and will.

I still find it interesting that she is NOT the chair of the committee making perhaps the most important hire of her tenure. Is she no longer trusted inside the University? Are they making sure that the new coach is not personally indebted to her in preparation for an eventual change at the AD level? Or are they insulating her (again) from responsibility if this hire goes wrong, giving them the out of "she didn't actually make that hire, so you cannot blame her for it" while retaining her?We shall see.....

Walter Sobchak
04-06-2016, 09:38 AM
If TJ is picking up all this steam I'm reading about, is there a reason he wan't give an interview until now? It makes zero sense to me.

My guess - because this whole process has been a sham. For Braun, she probably wanted TJ since day 1, but when Lena Taylor tweeted criticism of Braun and stated Braun had talked to him TJ already, they had to get this search committee together to have a full search and get other names out there so it appears a good hiring process was followed, when in fact it was probably all a smokeshow and was going to be him all along no matter what happened along the way.

Jimmy Lemke
04-06-2016, 09:48 AM
That's not a comforting thought to those of us who value integrity over wins and losses.

Current Twitter Poll:

Do you care if the next coach strictly abides by the NCAA rules in recruiting and running the program?

Yes: 58%
No: 42%

69 votes so far. Poll runs for another 9 hours.

MU/Panther
04-06-2016, 09:53 AM
I can't vote Jimmy, I don't do twitter.

dylanrocks
04-06-2016, 10:02 AM
In the meantime, I wonder where Mone Mouse and the Journal Sentinel are these days.

Jimmy Lemke
04-06-2016, 10:03 AM
My guess - because this whole process has been a sham. For Braun, she probably wanted TJ since day 1, but when Lena Taylor tweeted criticism of Braun and stated Braun had talked to him TJ already, they had to get this search committee together to have a full search and get other names out there so it appears a good hiring process was followed, when in fact it was probably all a smokeshow and was going to be him all along no matter what happened along the way.

HAS THE WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY?! AM I THE ONLY ONE AROUND HERE WHO GIVES A **** ABOUT THE RULES?! MARK IT ZERO!

http://wiki.urbandead.com/images/e/e4/WalterSobchak.jpg

Seriously, I love the screen name. That's priceless.

I think Twitter accounts are fairly telling. Let's take Amanda Braun's account for instance.

- She follows four coaches, three of them in the last few months: Bruce Weber (UWM alum at K-State), Tom Billeter (Augie), and TJ Otzelberger. TJ is the only one that follows her back.

- She followed the Wichita State's President as well as their Vice President of Student Affairs, both happened back-to-back around December. The VP of Student Affairs (VPSA) used to be the AD, but following the previous VP's firing took on double-duties early last year. He gave up his AD duties when the student government protested not having a full-time VPSA. That move happened in...you guessed it...December.

Oh well - anyone with a basic proficiency in Google can find several examples of how she's railroaded this department. Looks like Wichita State won't be calling, AB!

TheDarkHawkReturns
04-06-2016, 10:04 AM
Jimmy, I voted "no", but not because I want to cheat like crazy. I voted "no" because the NCAA is corrupt itself, and it's "rules" are many times arbitrary, capricious and self-serving. Are their core things we should never do? Absolutely...is there a grey area that is technically cheating if/when the NCAA decides it cares, yes? Should we be more aggressive in that grey area? Yes....thus my vote.

Jimmy Lemke
04-06-2016, 10:05 AM
I can't vote Jimmy, I don't do twitter.

I just wanted to show the current results, since it shows BBF isn't alone in his beliefs.

MU/Panther
04-06-2016, 10:11 AM
I just wanted to show the current results, since it shows BBF isn't alone in his beliefs.
Well, it's only 58% in how your poll is asked. Different in what BBF said.

uwm97
04-06-2016, 10:15 AM
In the meantime, I wonder where Mone Mouse and the Journal Sentinel are these days.

The JS has their best people on pressing, hot-button issues such as

uwm97
04-06-2016, 10:18 AM
1. 3rd-string LB Andy Mulumba signing a one-year deal with the Chiefs.
2. 2nd-string LB Jayrone Elliott appearing in Ripon, Black River Falls, and Shawano.....in three months.
3. Aaron Rodgers trolling the media by claiming to have seen a UFO.

MU/Panther
04-06-2016, 10:20 AM
What do some want Journal Sentinel to do? It's like beating a dead horse.

BBF
04-06-2016, 10:24 AM
And actually, Jimmy, the way you worded that poll puts a thumb on the scale by your use of the qualifier "strictly." That violates the basic tenet of an objective (as opposed to a push) poll. But for that qualifier (after all, who likes strict adherence to any set of rules, e.g. the rules of the road, IRS rules, etc.?) the results would be even more heavily on my side -- maybe by a lot.

I myself didn't vote since I don't do twit. :p

BBF
04-06-2016, 10:28 AM
What do we want the JS to do? Their job, with some minimal degree of fairness. We are still waiting for the first feature articles about Steve McWhorter, Matt Tiby, Jordan Johnson. Meanwhile Matt Velazquez writes 2000 words every time Henry Ellenson takes a dump.

dylanrocks
04-06-2016, 10:29 AM
What do some want Journal Sentinel to do? It's like beating a dead horse.

Cover the story.

Who are the leading candidates? Has anyone interviewed? After three weeks, do players feel any different about the way this was handled or the coaching change itself? Are they willing to give the new guy a chance or are they committed to leaving? Is there anything happening at all?

And on and on and on ...

MU/Panther
04-06-2016, 10:34 AM
Your smoking something if you think that will happen. No one is talking.

dylanrocks
04-06-2016, 10:47 AM
These players haven't had a coach for three weeks and all they're told is that things are "moving fast?"

What are they thinking? I guess that we might have a new coach by the end of the late signing period?

dylanrocks
04-06-2016, 10:50 AM

What it this? The CIA? This university would get KILLED -- justifiably -- if it was in Chicago or anywhere on the East coast.

MU/Panther
04-06-2016, 10:54 AM
These players haven't had a coach for three weeks and all they're told is that things are "moving fast?"

What are they thinking? I guess that we might have a new coach by the end of the late signing period? My guess is that they had there person and something went wrong. Which happens.

Jimmy Lemke
04-06-2016, 11:00 AM

No one is talking? I've said repeatedly I'm staying outside the fray, yet people keep pushing info to me. As for candidates talking...well, there's reps - or the coaches themselves - for over half of the reported candidates who've signed up for this forum in the last week and change. So maybe just ask for someone to talk lmao

MU/Panther
04-06-2016, 11:25 AM
Your joking right? We're talking two different things.

Montana87
04-06-2016, 11:50 AM
Braun and Mone are both under the gun and Sen. Taylor hit it right on. Mone Mouse is hiding with his Minnie Braun The fact is that if TJ gets the job, good night. He makes Tarkanian look clean. I know a lot of coaches, both current and former, and it all comes back the same regarding TJ. As one coach told me, if TJ was in the private sector, he would be doing 3 to 5 for fraud ....can't hide that. So go ahead Amanda, you tool, go hire a coach.

dylanrocks
04-06-2016, 11:53 AM
"Nobody's talking" just seems like a strange thing to say.

Have the players been placed under a gag order?

Is that what the "moving fast" meeting was about?

uwm97
04-06-2016, 12:01 PM
My guess is that they had there person and something went wrong. Which happens.

Call me crazy, but if that's the case, that might qualify as something a reporter who has even a remote interest would, you know, report on.

MU/Panther
04-06-2016, 12:02 PM
It's nothing strange. There just is not news that are going to be put out to the public to the media. What school puts out names in who they are looking at. Nobody.

MU/Panther
04-06-2016, 12:08 PM
Call me crazy, but if that's the case, that might qualify as something a reporter who has even a remote interest would, you know, report on. Which it would not be answered, which never is by any school hiring a coach in any sport.

Goodman was the one who put Tracy Webster name out there. Well, if he didn't get the job, neither Tracy or UWM will ever put the reason out there to why, because of respect to each other.

GoPanthersGo23
04-06-2016, 12:19 PM

I agree with this, but has anything during this debacle made sense? Sadly I don't think so.

dylanrocks
04-06-2016, 12:23 PM
So you're OK with the local newspaper allowing the university to control every single aspect of the story?

In that case, it has ceased to be a newspaper.

MU/Panther
04-06-2016, 12:58 PM
Jimmy and others are our better source of info that what local TV will give us. Some of us have better sources.

uwm97
04-07-2016, 09:39 AM
I'll wait for the experts to explain why anyone would think he's an upgrade over Jeter or how his resume is any different than Jeter's back in '05. I'm very excited to be whipped into shape here.

FrankTheTank
04-07-2016, 09:56 AM
Per an article on Mlive.com:

"Jordan was in the midst of a contract at Michigan paying $205,000 last season and climbing $230,000 in 2017-18, making him U-M's highest paid assistant."

FrankTheTank
04-07-2016, 09:57 AM
Per an article on Mlive.com:

"Jordan was in the midst of a contract at Michigan paying $205,000 last season and climbing $230,000 in 2017-18, making him U-M's highest paid assistant."

Just an FYI...

TheSultan
04-07-2016, 09:59 AM
I'll wait for the experts to explain why anyone would think he's an upgrade over Jeter or how his resume is any different than Jeter's back in '05. I'm very excited to be whipped into shape here.

I'm not sure that he is different than Jeter '05, and there is no certainty that he will be an upgrade over Jeter '16 (time will tell), but Jordan is a well respected assistant that I think has a better upside than Jeter.

dylanrocks
04-07-2016, 10:09 AM
I'm not sure that he is different than Jeter '05, and there is no certainty that he will be an upgrade over Jeter '16 (time will tell), but Jordan is a well respected assistant that I think has a better upside than Jeter.

Why?

(And make no mistake, I'm a Butler guy!)

TheSultan
04-07-2016, 10:56 AM
Because I have seen Jeter coach and I think he reached his ceiling. I don't think retaining him would have resulted in much above the mediocrity where the program is right now.

BBF
04-07-2016, 10:56 AM
And when you have watched Jordan coach, what did you see?

TheSultan
04-07-2016, 11:23 AM
Obviously I haven't. He has a reputation as a solid assistant and a good recruiter. He may not be better. But I think he has the potential to be better than Jeter given his background.

TheDarkHawkReturns
04-07-2016, 11:58 AM
Things I think (sarcasm alert):

I am truly excited about this hire because we can trust AB's judgement when hiring coaches....she has done it 1 time in her whole life (for another sport), so we are good. She knows what she is doing!
AB is convinced she just hired MICHAEL Jordan - expects to not have to pay him at all and he will donate millions to the Panther Fund (gonna make that million dollar number we gave the paper real now!) AB is thinking: RECRUIT CITY BABY...here come the 5 Star Blue Chippers!!!
LaVall Jordan will NOT be totally beholden to AB in any way, shape, or form...he will be his own man and never tolerate lies and deceit...this being his first time in the big chair will not at all make him a lap dog grateful for the shot and will be willing to stand up to her when the shenanigans start.
LaVall will absolutely NOT be looking for the next open job in the event he makes the NCAA tournament next year with players he didn't recruit...no WAY he leaves Milwaukee for at least a decade...he may even be a lifer. He has a lot of Wisconsin ties to keep him here...I mean seriously, he was here all the time when he played for Butler...he had to make lifelong friends in MKE during those stays....right????
LaVall Jordan is absolutely NOT a essentially sideways move for the program... he played under a highly respected coach and then became his assistant, and he has many subsequent years of coaching experience as an assistant in the Big 10, where his role was heavy on recruiting...we have NEVER tried that before at Milwaukee....this is uncharted territory and exciting...with the added bonus that AB does NOT hate his guts (yet, at least...give it a week) and really, REALLY, want him to fail. Oh, and he is black, so TAKE THAT Lena Taylor....IN YOUR FACE!
Sources say LaVall LOVES Ultimate Frisbee and will not at all be upset when the team has to vacate the Klotsche center..he will grab his discs and play!!!! Good times, man, good times!
Those sources also say LaVall loves to take the bus, so road trips during the season are going to be an absolute BLAST!
The players are sure to stay now...how could they turn down a shot to play at a high major when they could stay and play for a rookie head coach in his first job as the boss? What could possibly go wrong? Hell, we may challenge UW for some 4 and 5 stars now!
LaVall will immediately help develop our bigs. That was a huge complaint about Jeter, and this hire totally reverses that...wait? what? Point guards??? Oh, never mind. (link: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10070106/michigan-coach-lavall-jordan-way-point-guards)
This is one of those "Holy sh*t, they hired WHO?" hires that will grab headlines all over the nation. I mean seriously, this is a stunner....this guy was primed for the big time and we snapped him out from under the noses of some really big time programs....Wright St. HAS to be just GREEN with envy and kicking themselves right now! This is right up there with Ron Wolf landing Reggie White!!!!

IWB
04-07-2016, 12:02 PM
That right there is pretty awesome.

TheSultan
04-07-2016, 12:05 PM
Well I guess people can choose to be negative about something they can't control. The truth is that only time will tell if this was a good hire. I hope it works for UWM and I think it will.

dylanrocks
04-07-2016, 12:42 PM
Things I think (sarcasm alert):

I am truly excited about this hire because we can trust AB's judgement when hiring coaches....she has done it 1 time in her whole life (for another sport), so we are good. She knows what she is doing!
AB is convinced she just hired MICHAEL Jordan - expects to not have to pay him at all and he will donate millions to the Panther Fund (gonna make that million dollar number we gave the paper real now!) AB is thinking: RECRUIT CITY BABY...here come the 5 Star Blue Chippers!!!
LaVall Jordan will NOT be totally beholden to AB in any way, shape, or form...he will be his own man and never tolerate lies and deceit...this being his first time in the big chair will not at all make him a lap dog grateful for the shot and will be willing to stand up to her when the shenanigans start.
LaVall will absolutely NOT be looking for the next open job in the event he makes the NCAA tournament next year with players he didn't recruit...no WAY he leaves Milwaukee for at least a decade...he may even be a lifer. He has a lot of Wisconsin ties to keep him here...I mean seriously, he was here all the time when he played for Butler...he had to make lifelong friends in MKE during those stays....right????
LaVall Jordan is absolutely NOT a essentially sideways move for the program... he played under a highly respected coach and then became his assistant, and he has many subsequent years of coaching experience as an assistant in the Big 10, where his role was heavy on recruiting...we have NEVER tried that before at Milwaukee....this is uncharted territory and exciting...with the added bonus that AB does NOT hate his guts (yet, at least...give it a week) and really, REALLY, want him to fail. Oh, and he is black, so TAKE THAT Lena Taylor....IN YOUR FACE!
Sources say LaVall LOVES Ultimate Frisbee and will not at all be upset when the team has to vacate the Klotsche center..he will grab his discs and play!!!! Good times, man, good times!
Those sources also say LaVall loves to take the bus, so road trips during the season are going to be an absolute BLAST!
The players are sure to stay now...how could they turn down a shot to play at a high major when they could stay and play for a rookie head coach in his first job as the boss? What could possibly go wrong? Hell, we may challenge UW for some 4 and 5 stars now!
LaVall will immediately help develop our bigs. That was a huge complaint about Jeter, and this hire totally reverses that...wait? what? Point guards??? Oh, never mind. (link: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10070106/michigan-coach-lavall-jordan-way-point-guards)
This is one of those "Holy sh*t, they hired WHO?" hires that will grab headlines all over the nation. I mean seriously, this is a stunner....this guy was primed for the big time and we snapped him out from under the noses of some really big time programs....Wright St. HAS to be just GREEN with envy and kicking themselves right now! This is right up there with Ron Wolf landing Reggie White!!!!

You ARE Batman!!!!

dylanrocks
04-07-2016, 12:50 PM
Well I guess people can choose to be negative about something they can't control. The truth is that only time will tell if this was a good hire. I hope it works for UWM and I think it will.

For the record, Sultan, we're the ones who remained mostly positive for the last 11 years despite witnessing some things that would never happen to a fully-funded, institutionally-supported and student body-appreciated men's basketball program.

I join others in wishing LaVall good luck.

BBF
04-07-2016, 12:59 PM
If there was anybody awake at the JS, there is a very interesting story they might want to, you know, find and report.

Let's just say that we may all be able to get behind Lavall.

TheDarkHawkReturns
04-07-2016, 01:01 PM
You ARE Batman!!!!

No....I am Nighthawk!

MU/Panther
04-07-2016, 01:03 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/panthers/michigan-assistant-lavall-jordan-to-coach-uwm-basketball-b99702068z1-374908571.html

BBF
04-07-2016, 01:31 PM
That's not the story.

Skrapheap
04-07-2016, 05:44 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/panthers/michigan-assistant-lavall-jordan-to-coach-uwm-basketball-b99702068z1-374908571.html

Not a peep on the mkepanthers.com website. Anybody seen even a semi-official tweet?

Skrapheap
04-07-2016, 05:49 PM

We all hope he turns out to be a good coach, and that the program does well. What basis is there for thinking this will be the case? What evidence of competence has Amanda Braun given anybody that we should be optimistic about who she hires?

dylanrocks
04-07-2016, 05:52 PM
Not a peep on the mkepanthers.com website. Anybody seen even a semi-official tweet?

Yet the local newspaper is reporting it as fact? That's weird.

TheDarkHawkReturns
04-07-2016, 06:02 PM
Could it be that AB is not really all that thrilled with the hire and is dragging her feet on any web updates or Tweets? Nah.....that's CRAZY....that could never happen at UWM!